Same image quality as...

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by duns, Dec 3, 2014.

1. duns

duns FujiXspot Regular

Nov 16, 2014
    West Bend, WI.
    Erik
    Will i get the same image quality with a xt1 and a 23mm lens as with the X100t?

Pros and cons...

I'm getting closer. I've decided with xt1 and 23mm, but now the X100t is out.

Almost there...BUT..! :/

2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Define "image quality"... The 23 f1.4 is obviously faster than the f2 lens. The sensor is the same. Do you mean in a "eye chart / brick wall" sort of way?

3. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    As Kyle stated, the sensor is the same, however the lenses are different and in addition to the 1-stop advantage of the 23mm the lenses will render differently. I don't know that I'd call that 'image quality' but the images will certainly differ in their look by some degree.

4. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    From what I've seen of the 23 f1.4, it will be sharper at f2 than the X100-series lens is wide open at f2. That's nice for portraits, but not always for everything else.

5. duns

duns FujiXspot Regular

Nov 16, 2014
    West Bend, WI.
    Erik
    Defining image quality as...
    1. Final printed image examining under a loupe like in the old darkroom days.
    2. Dynamic range/shadows and highlights.

6. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Someone smarter than me can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference you'd see between them is (again) the sharpness in the center that is better on the 23 f1.4 lens at f2 than the X100-series lens at f2. Dynamic range ought to be identical. Resolution power should be identical. The X100T will be a little glowy and soft when you shoot it wide open at f2, whereas the XT-1 with the 23 on it shooting at f2 will be crisper, as well as offering you another stop of light gathering ability if you want it.

You realize, I'm sure, all the haptic physical shooting differences between both solutions...? Push/pull manual focus clutch on the 23 f1.4 lens, etc?

7. kevistopheles

kevistopheles FujiXspot Veteran

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    I think the difference in the experience of using the cameras is going to be much bigger than anything you can spot in the images. The XR1 is much larger physically and has an absolutely gorgeous EVF. The ability to change lenses gives you a much more flexible platform. If you're looking for small and discreet the X100 will be much more attractive.

8. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
  9. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    ^ The takeaway: for image quality, it's the 23 f1.4 lens, and handily. It's sharper at f1.4, much less f2. Distortion is lower, contrast is better too. The X100 body form factor offers a ton of other advantages (tiny size, leaf shutter, closer focusing by far) but if your question is PURELY about image quality - despite the other massive, looming differences that make a user happy or not - then it's the XT1 and the 23 f1.4 lens. The difference is bigger than I thought.

10. duns

duns FujiXspot Regular

Nov 16, 2014
    West Bend, WI.
    Erik
    Thanks for the link KillRamsey! :) It was very interesting. Damn close! The X100t is much improved over the S model. Its a damn hard decision to make! :/

11. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I *believe* the glass is still the same, going back even to my original X100. So the sensor can make up for a tiny bit of it in the X100T vs the S, but ... the glass faults cannot all be overcome by the processing. Again, if it's JUST image quality in a pixel-peeping way that you're wondering about, it goes to the 23 f1.4, period, full stop. It's hard for the rest of us not to pester you, I think, on allllll the other factors that also matter, but I'm trying to respect the parameters you laid out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. duns

duns FujiXspot Regular

Nov 16, 2014
    West Bend, WI.
    Erik
    You are not in any way pestering me, nor anyone else here. You have more time with the Fujifilm jewels than I do and appreciate everything you comment and help me with. This goes a long ways brotha and never will be forgotten. Thanks for putting up with me! lol!!
    I just want to make the right choice and stay with the choice that i make with no regrets. My choice will be with me forever with no looking back. This is why i ask some dumb questionss time to time and confuse everyone!

13. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Well keep asking, then. :)

14. eddie1960

eddie1960 FujiXspot Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Eddie
    For me it wasn't a hard decision, I love the form factor on the x100 series but the ability to swap lenses was more important. the fact that the 23 is just about the best lens I've ever used doesn't hurt. it's so sharp and the low light is very important for me so a stop is a huge difference. Since my only other gear is now a Bronica medium format (what wasn't stolen in my Pentax kit has been sold) the XE2 with the 23 would be my x100, though i find i really like it with the 18 and 27) both forms have advantages you just need to decide (wait a while longer and then you'll be deciding if the 23 on the xpro2 is what you want ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. duns

duns FujiXspot Regular

Nov 16, 2014
    West Bend, WI.
    Erik
    Thanks eddie :)
    I think i may wait it out. I've done a bunch of research and also had allot of help from peeps on this forum and appreciate from all. It's hard to wait! But it may be worth it.
    But....I have the Fujifilm bug bAD! In a good way though... :)

16. duns

duns FujiXspot Regular

Nov 16, 2014
    West Bend, WI.
    Erik
    Well my waiting out didn't last as long as i thought it would. About an hour ago i ordered a Fujifilm x100t in the silver flavor. Now i will be able to shoot while waiting for the mother flagship to arrive which will probably be based off the x100t with more added treats. Thank you everyone for ur time spent explaining and teaching and giving me your inputs. All has been super!