Panasonic Charlie Waite on LX5

Nice advertisement and some fine images. I find it a little hard to believe he was really using the scene modes, though! Except to demonstrate them in the ad...

A further reminder that its all in the eye, though.

-Ray

Nice advertisement and some fine images. I find it a little hard to believe he was really using the scene modes, though! Except to demonstrate them in the ad...

A further reminder that its all in the eye, though.

-Ray

I tend to agree with you Ray, nonetheless its a great compact but the more I read about, especially after having owned the LX3 a couple of years ago, its a tough call but I'm leaning the LX3/VF1 option.

How often one reads that; "the camera is not important"...however, it was very interesting to see that hardly any of Charlie Waite's fantastic landscape ability transfered to the advert for a camera that he would likely never use, especially in view of his stated views about digital images.....

......Interesting also the frequent use of the word "fun" by this most serious of all photographers. Never mind Charlie! get back to the Hassy and £30,000 digital back...

......Interesting also the frequent use of the word "fun" by this most serious of all photographers.

Geting paid by Panasonic to wander around, take a few snaps. No wonder he thinks its fun!

Like you I wonder how often he uses a camera like the LX5 on his advertising assignments, his books and his print sales.

I'm all for well-known photographers promoting "ordinary" cameras, however I think I'd like to be more convinced that some of them actually thought they were useful tools for the "day job" and not just for some lucrative advertising jaunt.

Some do use what might might be regarded as non-professional cameras for professional work, and I tend to be more interested in that rather than something like this, with the Lumix and Panasonic logos permanently on the screen.

While the eye rather than the camera is the most essential element in producing good photography, making a living from it, marketing it and satisfying the people who pay your wages is a somewhat more complex affair.

I actually have this dvd ( the full length version ) -its quite good and the images he gets from the lx3 are amazing , he also uses a GH1 in the dvd as well. He mostly leaves it on 24mm ,as thats the best quality he gets from the camera .

Speaking as working professional, I have used my serious compact cameras, for background plates(landscapes, cityscapes , prop shots, I could also see using them for fine art stuff, street,abstracts etc,. Anything that does not require extreme resolution or that can be shot again if it does not work out the first time.. But for I could never use one on a real jub , just not fast enough, not enough reliability, not enough resolution, chip is not smooth enough due to size, an assortment of reasons.

I've only just realised this guy lives just up the road from me and in fact i remember now seeing him outside my house being videoed a few months ago ... presumably making a dvd ... he's at the local arts centre giving a talk next month - tickets are £12.50 a pop though ...

Back