SD card speed for the X100S?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Frenchman, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Frenchman

Frenchman FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Does anybody know if the X100S has an UHS-1 controller? I also wonder if spending big money on a 95 Mb or 45 Mb card is worth it, or if a "regular" UHS1 is good enough. The latter (e.g. a Sony UHS1 R40 Class 10) is $40 for 64 Gb vs $128 for a 64 Mb Sandisk Extreme Pro! I cannot find tests for it except this post saying that on a NEX7 speeds are the same (but someone says it might be due to the NEX7 controller).

I think a 32Gb would be fine anyway... How many RAW+JPEG would that hold? 1,400 or so?

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    The recommended card for all X series cameras is the 95 MB/s SanDisk UHS-1. However, even faster cards may soon be introduced, so don't buy too many now.

3. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    The 95 MB/s UHS' are really recommended for RAW+JPEG.

I was using the 45 MB/s variation for a short time and I could notice that little bit of write lag.

4. chrisnmn

chrisnmn FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Im using the ultimate transcend ones in both my OMD and X100S and i find that the 85MB/s is not enough for the X100s as it take a couple of seconds to record a F+Raw, while on the OMD is near instantaneous

5. Bashar

Bashar FujiXspot Rookie

Apr 1, 2013
    The Fuji raw files are relatively large compared to a lot of other cameras...

6. Frenchman

Feb 24, 2013
    Okay, thanks. I'll look for a super fast camera. Is there a good site showing WRITE speeds of cards? Advertised specs are difficult an so variable (e.g. Sony's 95 mb/s is a read spec... people say write might be as low as 20-25 mb/s but I haven't seen tests).

How big is the X100S buffer? How many pictures (RAW+JPEG) will it hold before one gets bounded by the write to the card?

7. Bashar

Bashar FujiXspot Rookie

Apr 1, 2013
    Its much more simple than that, no need to browse sites for data, just buy SANDISK extreem pro, thats it!!! buy the biggest you can afford. I am not a raw guy, so 8Gb does 1200 of fine jpgs, goes down to 2xx with raw, if you like math, do that calculations....

8. bartjeej

bartjeej FujiXspot Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    is the same true for the original x100? have a 45mbps card now, not too pleased w/ write times...

9. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Yep. But I wouldn't buy the biggest cards, but only as many smaller cards (8 or 16 GB) as you actually need. Prices come down all the time, and next generation (= even faster) cards will soon hit the market. Having several smaller cards instead of just one large card is also better in case something goes wrong (card is damaged, lost, stolen, malfunctioning, needed elsewhere, left at home in the computer).

10. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I've also read about some people having camera startup issues on occasion with 32GB and larger cards. I don't know why this would matter, but apparently it can. As for me, I tend to prefer smaller capacity cards and just either upload them often or have multiple cards if I'm going to be where I can't. For reference, an 8GB card will hold 203 RAW+FINE images from the X100S.

11. Frenchman

Feb 24, 2013
    Yes I think 16Gb is the sweet spot for "no need to worry I have enough capacity most of the time." In JPEG+RAW you get about 24 pictures per Gb, so 150 for 8 Gb and over 300 for 16. That is very plenty.

I would also like a wifi card bust their speeds are way behind :( So here too maybe two cards is better than one :) I just don't like needing to have multiple cards around.