Selective Color

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by ean10775, Mar 9, 2014.

1. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Selective color processing is something I'm generally really not fond of. However, in converting this to black and white (and having the blues close to last in the saturation slider window) I actually liked the way it worked with this photo. She's still ever the little bookworm.

View attachment 19303
    X1000104 by ericarthur, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    That works for me Eric,

I have also used selective colour but not a big fan - it does however work as long as the item with colour is part of the main focal point of the image.

Nice job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I really do like your use of the color in this quite a lot - Eric Carle's illustrations call out for color and the juxtaposition with your daughter's love mass of curls and the designs of the things around her work beautifully with this book's cover in blue.

I'm going to make this a sticky thread so that others might add their "selective color" photos here, if they'd like. I look forward to seeing more from you, too, Eric.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Thanks BBW. Its not a look I usually go for, but as you said, the illustration was what make me consider it for this particular shot.

I also like the idea of making themed sticky threads so we're all not posting one-offs for every set of images we shoot. My intent here was for this to be a thread for anyone that wanted to post selective color shots, not just to show mine, so thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    You're more than welcome, Eric - and thank you!