Seriously wondering about X-S1 instead of buying the XF55-200 lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez FujiXspot Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    I have the X-E1 as my X system camera with XF18 and XF18-55 lenses.
    Earlier I've thought that I should add the XF55-200 lens to my Fuji X system as soon as it is available, but lately I've been starting to think about the X-S1 instead.

That's why I add this post in this category: the X-S1 as my long zoom lens instead of the XF55-200!

Otherwise move it to another forum category.

-------

My conclusions for this new thought:

1. The XF18-55 is all the range I need when I'm shooting inside in low light. Here is when the APS-C X trans sensor is needed mainly for my shooting. I don't really need longer zoom for this.

2. As soon as my upcoming X100s arrives at my "local store", 186 miles away (one way). I'd better buy what I need! (I live on the countryside)

(I could order online but I always trade in my older gear here and they give great credit... It would take longer for me to sell my old stuff from here too...)

So this time when I go to my "local store" I am going to get what I need in one time!

- The gear I'll get is:
    Fuji X100s, XF35 lens and probably the X-S1 (as the price now is pretty low on that store for a new one)

-------

The reasons for getting X-S1 over the XF55-200:

- Wildlife and nature walks!

I've read that the X-S1 can tolerate some moisture and dust in the wild.
    And as I will be out walking in daylight I won't need that light sensitive APS-C sensor in the X-E1.

And if there ever will be an XF??-600 something it will cost my lungs and liver...

------

This is my newest thought as I need to really organize everything about what I'm going to buy when I am at the store.

The shopping list again: X100s, XF35 and X-S1 (instead of telezoom lens for X-E1)

Need help from you who owns both an X system camera and X-S1!!
    Could the X-S1 complement my existing kit as my nature camera in daylight?
    What are your experiences of this combination?

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    As you know, I am shooting with the entire line of X series cameras, so it's not like I'd be prompted to defend one model or another. However, the X-S1 and the X-E1 are pretty different cameras. It's X-Trans vs. EXR. Now, if Fuji had an X-S2 with the sensor of the X20, I'd say "why not, go for it", as you'd be able to combine workflows and use the same shooting techniques. Personally, I am very much looking forward to the upcoming tele-zoom lens. By the way, you can crop a 300mm equivalent shot with 16 MP to a 6 MP frame that should be at least as good as the results from an X-S1 in 6 MP size M mode (which is the natural mode for EXR cameras).

• Like Like x 1
  3. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Good point about cropping an X-E1 photo.

Just because I have to do these things, I checked and it looks to me like the X-E1 sensor is very roughly three times bigger in both X and y dimensions than the X-S1 sensor (i.e., nine times the surface area). With a 200mm lens on the X-E1, that's a "35mm equivalent" of 300mm. If we crop that down to the X-S1 sensor size (3X), that's about 900mm of zoom, compared to 624mm on the X-S1. Just an "area to area" equivalence comparison, not the whole story.

The megapixels need to be considered too. The X-E1 has 16MP. Cropping down by one-ninth the sensor area (i.e., 3X both ways), you'd have 1.8MP, pretty bad. I'd say 4MP would be a lower end for 8"X10" prints, which is a 2X crop of the sensor in X and Y directions. With a "35mm equivalence" of 300mm, the X-E1 can crop reasonably to 600mm equivalence at 4MP.

Compare that to the 624mm equivalent reach at either 6MP (EXR mode) or 12MP (more limited dynamic range compared to X-E1), and yes, the X-S1 has the edge for reach - IF the optics hold up at "624mm."

My guess is the 55-200mm will be noticeably sharper optics (although the X-S1 isn't terrible for sharpness).

So overall - the two could be a wash for the "approx 600mm" zoom limit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    The thing that made me think about the X-S1 was that I saw it for 399€. That and the moisture/dust sealing. A "cheap" camera that I can take for example to the beach or in bad weather where I wouldn't dare to take my more expensive X cameras.

5. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Ramirez, 400 euros is great for a camera like the X-S1. Really good optics, great sensor, great features. Don't think you can go wrong, and my guess is you'll have a blast with it.

I'm tempted too ... but the EM-5 with an adapted four-thirds Pana-Leica 14-150mm is my "all-rounder." Dang!

6. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Oh, you poor thing! :D

7. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    "Ramirez, 400 euros is great for a camera like the X-S1. Really good optics, great sensor, great features. Don't think you can go wrong, and my guess is you'll have a blast with it.

I'm tempted too ... but the EM-5 with an adapted four-thirds Pana-Leica 14-150mm is my "all-rounder." Dang!"

That was what I thought :)

8. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    There was an old commercial: "Don't hate me because my hair is beautiful ..." Heh!

The PL 14-150 is gorgeous, but because of its weight and size, I won't often grab it. Also, I'll more likely put it on the E-500 or the E-1 than the E-M5. (That's not too bad though, because the E-1 and E500 are amazing in good light.)

What it does however is keep me from getting something I'd use more often - which is a bit of a shame.

Back to the X-S1 though - still Mighty Tempting!

9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    Just as a matter of interest: Is there likely to *be* an X-S2? Or has Fuji decided to drop the X-S line entirely...

10. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Good question. But Fuji really should put one out with the X20 sensor and image processing along with weather resistance before giving up on the XS line. That could be the version that hits pay dirt.

11. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    If you bring them 100,000 buyers, they'll probably make one. ;)

12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    Sighhhhhh......