Shot a Concert with the X-Pro1

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Dacalac, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Dacalac

Dacalac FujiXspot Veteran

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    • Like Like x 3
  2. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FujiXspot Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    behind an [X°]
    Ken
    Excellent job, Mike. Just remember: you NEED a DSLR for this sort of stuff, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    lol yes as you can tell these slow Fuji's just aren't enough! :p

4. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    You have really captured the energy of the musos.

• Like Like x 1
  5. markitos

markitos FujiXspot Regular

Jan 16, 2014
    Durham, NC
    Mark
    Some nice shots in here... did you end up using autofocus for all of these, or did you find that manual focus was helpful as well. Just curious!

6. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    Thanks man. I used AF for all of them. The trick was just focusing on where the light was on the musicians so I could the camera would detect a contrast point. Didn't really have any major issues.

7. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Very nice work. I've been wondering how a Fuji X body would handle this type of shoot, being new to the Fuji system. Looks like it handles it very well.

8. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    most definitely handles it well! I had the ISO up to about 4000 and as you can tell the pics are still very usable.

I may have even pushed some up to 6400. The 14mm really helped when I was on the right side of the stage. In the last photo of the set the guy was an arms length away from me and I was still able to get his whole body in. I do think I would have liked to have the 55-200mm lens so I could go back to the sound booth and get some better straight forward shots of the singers.

9. petach

petach FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Forgive me, but................................................'kin hellllllllll these are really good. Great energy leaping off the screen!

10. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    As I am not fluent in the English language, I won't use strong words like Pete ;) but just say that you made a fantastic series! Captures energy and atmosphere very well!

11. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    These are awesome!! Kudos!! I wish someone would hire me to shoot a concert.

12. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    I would like to be hired as well. :p

My cousin was managing two of the bands on the bill and asked if I'd like to get out there to shoot them. Gonna try to shoot them again when they get back into town.

13. slash0445

slash0445 New to FujiXspot

Jan 18, 2014
    nice shot!

14. chainomad

chainomad FujiXspot Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    Canada
    This great to see. In the 2 years I've had my xp1, I've shied away from using it for concerts. No more! These are great! Did you shoot manual or shutter priority? Some EXIF would be really helpful.

15. brad

brad New to FujiXspot

Jan 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    I was shooting full manual mode. You can actually view all the EXIF data once you go through the Flickr page. Just click the ... icon and you'll get the option for EXIF info. =)

17. brad

brad New to FujiXspot

Jan 17, 2014
    Do yourself a favor and try Photo Ninja.

It is the absolute best application I have found at fixing white balance issues cause by the stage lighting. Click on a neutral tone and it just seems to get it right, even if the adjustments are way off the slider scale. Miles better than the WB adjustments available in ACR/Lightroom meaning you can avoid the sickly cyan or magenta looking skin tones.