Show: Protests/Photojournalism

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Pav, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos
    Ok. So I'm so totally not a photojournalist of any kind, but I thought I'd see how me and the X10 would do at a local protest. Took some time out at lunch and grabbed a few shots. I found it very intriguing and really kind of a rush, even though the protest turned out pretty small. At the beginning it seemed like there were more photogs and tv news than protesters, but the crowd grew a bit after that. It was a pretty cold winter like spring day. Snowing even.

Info on the protest can be found on the flickr page for them for anyone interested in more context. Not really interested in any big political debate or anything so going to keep my personal opinions to the side. I was just interested in seeing what it's like to document something like this, rather than family, artsy or travel shots.

Anyone else try this? Let's see them.

8589210391_f4ed909a2b_c.
    Detroit EM Protest 01 by Pav B, on Flickr

8590317962_bddab461f7_c.
    Detroit EM Protest 02 by Pav B, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos

Attached Files:

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    This is the kind of street shots that I enjoy. I'll post some when I get the chance.

4. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos
    Thanks. You've got a lot of good ones in your stream.

5. pniev

pniev Guest

Great shots, Pav. Especially #1 shows the passion of the protester.
    I'm afraid that protests are a bit duller here. Just people standing with protest signs at the Binnenhof (where the prime minister and administration meet and work).

6. the Tif

the Tif FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 9, 2013
    Germany
    Tim F.
    I also like the passion in the first picture-but it would be even better if the viewer could read whats on the sign the guy on the left is holding.

Recendly i saw a series of Detroid pictures-of abandoned houses and even abandoned skyscrapers. Are those in a save area where you can take pictures? I would be interested in a series of those showing the view of the local people.

greetings form Germany

Tim

7. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos
    Yeah, the sign's a bit cutoff, but the gist of it is there. Emergency manager =NO! Really though, it was a pretty small protest. Getting in close doesn't show the size of it, which is something I look for now when seeing protest coverage in the news.

As for abandoned building and burnt out houses, there's plenty of that to go around. A lot of stuff like this. Although I don't have too many pics of the decay.

8495755719_3c4c5d0e8c_c.
    Burned out by Pav B, on Flickr

The area I shot the protest in is Downtown. Most of the decay is in the immediate surrounding suburbs. The most photographed one seems to be the old train station. Everyone seems to have shots of this great old building, now standing derelict and decayed.

Here's a cool site from a local with much better shots that I have.

Detroiturbex.com