Sigma glass for Fuji X mount

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by den_sh, May 4, 2013.

1. den_sh

den_sh New to FujiXspot

Mar 1, 2013
    Sigma has been reluctant to release their 19mm, 30mm and 60mm lens for X mount. I suggest we do some pushing to make them understand that there is room for cheaper and reasonably good lens on X mount.

Having more manufactures produce lens for Fuji system would increase competition and should probably decrease prices and/or increase quality in long run. So even if you don't plan on buying Sigma it would still benefit you if they released lens for X mount.

It would be great if you dropped them a short message about this:

Contact Us | Sigma

Thank you!

2. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    It would be nice. One simple reason they haven't "rolled the dice" on Fuji is the physical aperture set up. A 30mm f2.8 would be nice with the X-Trans sensor.

3. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It would be nice, but I doubt that Fuji would grant Sigma a license w/o a significant sales participation. Fuji is definitely taking profit from the Zeiss deal, though.

4. pharaviel

pharaviel FujiXspot Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Maybe the shorter flange of the X it's a problem, being the lenses built for nex (Ord built for dp) and adapted on m43.

I think the aperture dial is no problem, the future pancake will not have aperture dial.

I believe the next batch will work on X cameras. A mirrorless 10-20 would benefit on every system I believe. A 50f1.4? A 75f2? A cheap, good and slim 30-32mm f2?

Sent from my LT26i using FujiXspot mobile app

5. Peter Chin

Peter Chin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Fuji makes good/excellent glass at a reasonable price point vs Canon and Nikon for instance that said if I had to pay $$$ the TOUIT lenses from Zeiss is what I would get over Sigma mostly because of Sigma's long history of quality control...and their new "art" series is new...let's see if QC has made a better turn for the good going into the future ;)

6. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    My understanding is that Sigma's issues with QC have always stemmed from the fact that they reverse engineer the AF algorithms to get their lenses to work with the Canon/Nikon bodies and as such certain lenses have had problems with AF accuracy, including the new ART lenses lenses like the 35mm f1.4. Since mirrorless cameras AF differently, however, Sigma hasn't had these problems with the lenses they've released for the Sony NEX and m43 cameras. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

7. pharaviel

Apr 16, 2013
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I believe (having licence to use the mount) they have at least basic specification of the af, is and other camera/lens communication.

I think it's really a problem of quality control: a friend of mine bought a long tele lens from sigma and changed it two times with the same model. The first and the second was not good. The third one was really awesome.

8. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Are you sure they have a license to use the mount? I don't think that's the case. There are plenty of lens adapters for sale from a variety of manufacturers that use different camera mounts and they are made without a license for that mount.

9. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
  10. pharaviel

Apr 16, 2013
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Nice, i didn't see the prototypes !
    My assumption was that it did not have the aperture ring because it doesn't have the R specification on the roadmap

Sent from my LT26i using FujiXspot mobile app

11. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia FujiXspot Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Los Angeles
    They may as well knock out the 19mm and 30mm for Fuji, it wouldn't take too much development effort. I imagine the issue is agreeing to licensing terms with Fuji. Now that there are budget Fuji bodies though, perhaps this will have a greater chance of happening.

It really shouldn't be an issue- the Fuji lens would just be physically longer than the same lens for NEX. This way the optical path and optical design does not have to change at all.

12. tomrock

tomrock FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Tom Rockwell
    I sent Sigma a message asking about lenses for Fuji a couple of weeks ago. They replied promptly that Fuji doesn't have enough sales volume to make it worth their while.

13. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Can't argue with that.

Sent from another Galaxy

14. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    Companies like Sigma, Tokina and Tamron almost never license anything. The are excellent at reverse engineering. However, if you have followed them over time there have been several instances of them failing to fully maintain compatibility as recently seen with certain Sigma's on the Nikon Df.

Many manufacturers simply won't disclose their proprietary interfaces to third parties like Sigma.