Silkypix offers improved X-Trans support (and fixes a color profile bug)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by flysurfer, May 27, 2013.

1. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Earlier today, ISL has released a new version (5.0.39) of their Silkypix software with improved X-Trans sensor support. As you can see in ISL's official news release, the improvements should be visible in areas that are prone to moiré.

I have compared the new version with the previous one and couldn't immediately find a strong increase in image detail (X20, X100S, X-Pro1, X-E1) at low ISO, although I did see better detail in a higher-ISO (1600) sample. You will probably notice better detail when comparing RAW files at the software's default settings (I did), but this difference practically vanished once I compared files that had already been processed and optimized "to taste".

Now, the real issue is this: Do NOT toss your current version (5.0.38) of the software, keep a copy! Here's why: The new Silkypix version includes a long overdue color profile fix. In "Natural" and "Faithful" modes, colors will look differently (less greenish) than before. While this is an improvement (and an obvious bug fix) for all those who develop new/fresh RAW files from the start with Silkypix, it can also be a curse for those who have already developed older images in Natural color mode and have already applied their own compensation for the greenish tint!

If you have developed your existing images in "V.4 compatible" color mode, everything is fine, there is no change.

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
  3. PeterPrism

PeterPrism FujiXspot Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Italy
    Talking about a bug, when we'll have the improved version for the "free" (bundled with camera) version stopped at [ MAC OS X 10.5 - 10.8 (ver.3.2.12.1) - Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP (ver.3.2.13.0)]?
    Or
    we have to live with an obsolete & imperfect software forever?
    Thanks...

4. PeterPrism

Feb 16, 2013
    Italy
    Dear flysurfer, you talk about BUGS: but have we to stay with a color bug with the free "raw file converter" tool in boundle with the camera? this is not a correct policy (ok we have not all the features of the expensive product but we don't wants bugs infact the news don't refer to BUGS but improvements ...).
    I wrote about this at silky pix producers and they have circumvented the question talking about a different product. so I think ther will be no more upgrade to the free tool.
    Here I report my mail and the answer of silky:

Dear Sirs,
    I'm a Fujifilm Xpro1 User and with my camera I have a the raw file converter 3.2.12.1 for Free.
    SILKYPIX: "Announcing the updated program (Ver.5.0.39) for improved RAW image development of Fuji Film’s X-series on “SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro5.” - you can also try a TRIAL version.
    ref: http://www.fujirumors.<wbr>com/silkypix-5-0-39-with-<wbr>improved-x-trans-support-now-<wbr>available/

BUT it is normal that BASIC FREEWARE SW [ MAC OS X 10.5 - 10.8 (ver.3.2.12.1) - Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP (ver.3.2.13.0)] is NOT upgraded?
    waiting for your confirmation, yours sincerely

this is the answer:

Thank you for your inquiry about SILKYPIX Developer Studio
    on May 29, 2013.

Regarding your question,
    "RAW FILE CONVERTER" that came with the Fujifilm's camera
    and the product version of "SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro5" is
    a different program.

* It cannot update for free.

Therefore, if you want to use to the Product version of
    "SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro5", you need to purchase a new license.

In addition, we will sell the product license
    of "SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro5" by the discount price
    because you have a FUJIFILM X-Pro1
    (RAW FILE CONVERTER EX powered by SILKYPIX).

We are selling the product license
    of "SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro5" by the following distributors.

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    There is no color profile bug in SP3 (RFC EX) and SP4. The issue apeared in two new profiles in SP5, and it is now corrected.

6. PeterPrism

Feb 16, 2013
    Italy
    So my question has an answer:
    The firmware update Ver.3.2.17.0 Incorporates the following issues:

• Image quality is improved for models in which "X-Trans CMOS sensor" or "X-Trans CMOS Ⅱ sensor" is incorporated.
    • Applicable models for the raw file converter are added as follows
      • FUJIFILM X-M1 / X100S / X20
      • FinePix F900EXR / HS50EXR / SL1000
    The firmware update Ver.3.2.12.1 incorporates the following issues:

• FUJIFILM X-E1 / XF1 / X-Pro1 / X-S1 / X10
      • FinePix X100 / F800EXR / F770EXR / F775EXR / F600EXR / F605EXR / F550EXR / F505EXR / HS30EXR / HS33EXR / HS20EXR / HS22EXR
    • It is compatible to OS X 10.8.
    The firmware update Ver.3.2.9.1 incorporates the following issues:

• FUJIFILM / X-Pro1 / X-S1 / X10
      • FinePix X100 / F770EXR / F775EXR / F600EXR / F605EXR / F550EXR / F505EXR / HS30EXR / HS33EXR / HS20EXR / HS22EXR
    • Improvement of the color cast at the bright area in the RAW data of X-Pro1 when shooting with the high brightness condition.
    Ref: Download Drivers & Software | Fujifilm Global