Solo Hike

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by merlin, Jul 30, 2017.

1. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Regular

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    A sunny and warm day in the Nature Preserve. Despite recent rains, the trail was surprisingly dry, due to the intense sunlight. My partner was at a retreat in the Bay Area, so I was on my own. But I still did a bit of off-trail scrambling to get some of the photographs.

The trees, rocks, and vistas were inspiring and uplifting, as were the deep connections with nature and spirit. Food for the soul!

X30F2942_lzn.

X30F2943_lzn.

X30F2946_lzn.

X30F2963_lzn.

X30F2952_lzn.

X30F2955_lzn.

X30F2961_lzn.

X30F2973_lzn.

X30F2983_lzn.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Merlin, a thought has just struck me, in that high country on your own how would you summon assistance should the need arise. Obviously I don't know if you can get a mobile signal up there?

• Like Like x 1
  3. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Regular

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    No cellphone signal, so no summoning assistance. Same whilst kayaking upriver. At some point someone will notice my automobile in the parking area, and hopefully send out the search-and-rescue team.

4. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Thanks Merlin, that sounds quite scary to me but of course I don't have your fitness or experience!

• Like Like x 1
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    I always tell my wife where I'm going or even leave a map if it's someplace unfamiliar, as it is not unusual for me to be long distances from my vehicle with no cell signal. Nothing scary about it, but caution and preparation are key.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Regular

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Whenever I go on an outing, even for relatively short distances, I carry a pack with enough gear for spending the night outside, if circumstances require it. And especially when kayaking upriver on the Rio Grande, I know that no one will be coming to get me.

So there is a certain exhilaration in this, but as you stated, caution and preparation are vital!

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I quite agree chaps but this is outside of my comfort zone as I do not have your experience, but I am envious! :thiagree:

This is the closest I can get to your lovely rocks.

rocks.

Not exactly out of range of mobile phones! :biggrin: 574 Kms from Basel.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Regular

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Not quite like an outing to Hyde Park! ;)

Where was the photo taken, Mike?

9. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Merlin you're right there, but Hyde Park especially "Speakers Corner" is an experience all of its own!

• Like Like x 1
  10. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    Mike, we're on opposite sides of the spectrum - I would be totally lost and very uncomfortable if I was dropped in the middle of any large city. I'm not a survivalist, but I am very comfortable when I'm in the outdoors and there's not another person nearby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Regular

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    I agree completely! The best thing about almost all our hikes is that we only rarely run into anyone else, and it is only momentarily before they are swallowed up by the wilderness! And whilst kayaking if we see 6 other boaters in an entire season along the stretch of river we frequent, it is a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    The photo was taken from the ship and is of the banks of the Rhine. Very typical of a the wine making area!

• Like Like x 1
  13. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Regular

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    I thought so. Excellent rieslings!

14. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman