Panasonic New to me LX3

D

dixeyk

I recently bought a low mileage silver LX3 (about 500 clicks) for some closeup work I need to do on a project I am doing. I received it the other day so I decided to take it out for a spin. I find that I like it quite a bit. The combination of small size, lots of tweak-ability and a really nice lens makes it a very appealing package. I don't think I've ever had a point and shoot be this fun (although I would argue that calling the LX3 a point and shoot is a stretch).

I realize the LX3 has been replaced by the LX5 as THE camera to have but I am enjoying the LX3 none the less. I'm not ready to ditch my EPL-1 and Panasonic 20/1.7 any time soon but the LX3 is a great addition to the camera bag. I think I'd like to pick up a decent optical viewfinder for it. I hear the CV21 viewfinder is a great match for the LX3 at 24mm.

Just a few snaps while out experimenting with the LX3...

p1020689012-4.jpg

View attachment 34118

Other than resized for uploading these have had no other adjustments. I'm loving the small size and the versatility of the LX3.

color me impressed...

I am finding that I am reaching for the LX3 a lot more than the EPL-1 with the Panasonic 20 these days. I'm not sure why exactly. The EPL-1+20/1.7 is capable of much better images but the combination of small size, flexibility and general fun factor fo the LX3 is very appealing.

Might have saved myself a few dollars if I'd figured it out earlier. I think I'll pick up a self opening lens cap (I agree with the rest of the world that he lens cap is a pain). As I shoot mainly in WA I also picked up an old Yashica optical viewfinder.

Thanks

I have to say I was floored by how nice those flower pictures came out. I really am looking forward to exploring what the LX3 can do (sounds sort of strange given that the LX5 is the new "it" camera). Ah well, always been late to the party I guess.

Lovely image Kevin. Only thing I would suggest is that you straighten that horizon line - it's a little distracting.

So I have been playing with the LX3 for several days and I have come to a few conclusions (some surprising).

The lens on the LX3 is much better than I realized. It may not be the longest zoom but it's sharp and contrasty. It beats the h*ll out of the 14-42 kit lens on my EPL-1. In fact, the only lens that I have in m43 that is comparable is the 20/1.7 (which in all honesty is a good deal better). Basically the LX3 has banished the 14-42 from my lens shelf. The EPL-1 now has the 20/1.7 permanently attached. The controls on the LX3 are pretty convenient and I am finding that it was very well thought out by Panasonic. They do a great job of button layout and designing a useable bit of gear. About the biggest weakness is the lack of a viewfinder. I like my VF2 a lot wish the LX3 had something similar. The LX5 has the ability to use an EVF on it, but I don't like the Panasonic EVF. I'm going to try out an optical viewfinder as I mostly use the LX3 at the 24mm setting but it's not the same. The LCD on the back however is not too bad (it's better than the one on the EPL-1.

If I could have only one camera I could see making it the LX3 or something similar. I find that there are a lot fo things I like about using a compact camera. The instant macro/closeup ability, the fact that it's so small and always with you and despite being a dreaded small sensor I think the images it's capable of are quite remarkable...then again I used to shoot with HP5 and Tri-X so I'm not exactly hung up on noise in my images. I guess I'm just not discerning enough.

Oh yeah, and that lens cap gas GOT to go.

View attachment 34314

View attachment 34315

Glad to hear you're discovering the joys of the LX3. Still don't understand why people have a problem with the lens cap though:)

Glad to hear you're discovering the joys of the LX3. Still don't understand why people have a problem with the lens cap though:)

For me it's because it's a pain to have to remember to take it off. Easily remedied though. Ordered one of those easy open caps (like the Ricoh one). The LX3 on the other hand is a real joy to use. I find myself grabbing it much more often than I grab the EPL-1 with the Panasonic 20. I'm starting to think I could be perfectly happy with the LX3. It must be the minimalist in me. I think an LX3 and a Panasonic ZS3 would be a nice little combo. I could sell off all my m43 stuff, buy a refurb ZS3 to go woth my LX3 and still have enough left over for a trip to Spain.

I could sell off all my m43 stuff, buy a refurb ZS3 to go woth my LX3 and still have enough left over for a trip to Spain.
I like your financial planning!

I'm so glad you're enjoying your camera so much! I need one of those lens caps, too. 99% of the time I am able to stick the lens cap in my pocket, but I also tend to turn it on and forget that I need to take the lens cap off. Silly, but true.

I guess my financial planning philosophy comes from experience...

I'm closing in on 9 years cancer free and one of the things I learned in that process is that it's just stuff. After I was diagnosed we had a lovely little occurrence called 9/11 and the small company I owned was made its money supplying media design and development services to the aerospace industry. Without going into too much detail let's just say work dried up, the business failed, I exhausted every penny of savings trying to keep things going so my insurance company wouldn't cancel my coverage. In short, I lost everything (house, car, business, savings, retirement) except my lovely wife and the dogs. Fast forward 10 years and my wife and I just competed our Masters (I'm moving on to a doctorate), we have a wonderful little boy and have finally gotten back on our feet (the dogs are still around too).

It's all just stuff. Health, friendships, experiences (like travel), anything that enriches your life is precious. I like my toys but I don't have any illusions as to their importance...it's just stuff and stuff can be replaced (or turned into a trip to Spain). :D

Back