Sticky blades

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Todd, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd New to FujiXspot

Feb 8, 2013
    Hello.
    Looking at an x 100 second hand but concerned about this known issue... please advise.

2. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    Serial numbers beginning with 22 and above "should" be safe, but no matter what the s/n is you will want to have a copy of the original sales receipt to include with the camera if repair is required. I have no first-hand experience with the issue or repair, but I have read on several sites that Fuji has been repairing the problem in all cases if a sales receipt is included. I don't think I have seen anyone say that Fuji refused to repair this if it occurred.

3. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    I spoke with Fuji today on this. They say they will fix sticky blades beyond normal warranty, but only for the original purchaser of the camera with a copy of the receipt. I believe that means "just send the receipt with your camera and it is fine".

I am ready to buy a used X100 with a 12xxx serial #. It's a nice deal, but not crazy or anything. Really not sure if I want to buy in to the known serial # range. A receipt would be included. Fuji says that 3% of the cameras in 12 and 13 serial # ranges are defective. Sure seems worse from what I've read on the internet. :rolleyes: They also confirmed that they can go bad at any time. From first use out of the box to 25,000 actuations (they cited as an example of one they just received for repair).

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Fuji is being up front, which is more than what always happens, so we can be glad of that. But I'd want to know if "just send the camera with the receipt" is a safe formula. The old GS645 series medium format had shutter issues too, so I'm thinking Fuji needs to get an in house shutter wizard. Of course twice in 40 years or so is not exactly a habit. Old guys have long memories -- until we lose them.

5. capodave

capodave FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Mission Viejo CA
    Dave Kavlich
    I bought a preowned X 100 with a 12 serial number and have had no issues.

6. optic

optic New to FujiXspot

Feb 12, 2013
    Cambridge, England
    Fuji service

Provided you get the original receipt, you should be OK. I bought my X100 secondhand, it was 5 months old and the seller provided the original receipt. My camera has a serial number beginning with "13". It suddenly developed sticky blades after 2 months. I visited the Fuji website which is easy to navigate and registered the fault. The next day a prepaid mailer arrived to return the camera. The repair took 48 hours and I was kept informed by email of each step.

In contrast. I had to return a Canon G1X which had dirt on the sensor. Canon also provided a prepaid mailer, but the turnaround was 7 days.