Sticky shutter problem on a used x100.

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by Tectomoc, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Tectomoc

Tectomoc New to FujiXspot

Nov 23, 2014
    I think I put myself into a tough spot.

This Friday I met with a seller from Craigslist to purchase a used x100. The camera looked to be in great condition, it was focusing quickly and I took some quick exposures in P mode and they seemed pretty good. One or two were slightly overexposed but I chalked it up to user error. We were in a coffee shop so of course the photos that turned out were shot at or around f2. Everything looked to be in good shape so I handed over the cash and went on my way.

Everything was not in good shape. The seller seemed respectable but i should have definitely done more research and paid more attention. He gave me the wrong USB cable. The warranty and purchase receipt were not included with the other paperwork and boxes. And most distressingly now that I've had time today to properly test my new camera I'm certain it is suffering from the sticky aperature blade issue. I can inspect the blade visually and see they are not closing and anything above f2 becomes increasingly overexposed.

I sent an email to Fuji asking what my options are. I've done some googling on the problem and it is my understanding that Fuji charges 140 for the repairs but only if you have the original purchase receipt. Even this is difficult for me to swallow. I waited several years for the price of this camera to come down to a level I am able to afford. I've seen people posting that repairs for this can be over 600 dollars if paying the full price. That's definitely more than I can afford. I'm hoping some forum members here will be more knowledgeable about the problem and I would appreciate any information ya'll have on what my options may be going forward.

If it helps the serial number on my camera is 14A00080.

Thank you very much!

2. bartjeej

bartjeej FujiXspot Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Well, one thing I'd definitely advise is to look up the laws regarding knowingly selling a faulty product in your location. Did the seller say that the camera was working correctly, that all the required cables would be there, and that the warranty and receipt would be there?

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I know Craigslist is just rife with slicksters and frauds, but I would try immediately to contact the seller and let him know that the camera is defective and I'd also suggest that I'm sure he or she was not aware of it, but that the right to do would be to undo the transaction. If he balked, I'd even suggest he could keep $50 for the inconvenience. If you are still at a stalemate, I'm not sure what other recourse you have. I would probably react very irrationally and tell him he better watch his back (although I'm quite certain that isn't the right thing to do). Of course, I wouldn't act on that, but sometimes if the person thinks you're crazy it's almost as effective as BEING crazy.

And since I'm fairly certain that you're S.O.L, let me offer my condolences. I'm sorry you got shafted on Craigslist. That really, really sucks. It may be no consolation, but I believe if the seller did it intentionally, Karma will bite him in the ass...... very hard.