Struggling to get my XT2 set up right

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Lensflare, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Lensflare

Lensflare FujiXspot Regular

Aug 6, 2017
    I don't have the means to work with Fuji RAW (begining to think I should have bought another Nikon and worked on the software I already had) so I can only shoot jpegs - but the shadows are blocking up solid. True, that means the highlights are held well, but I could do with opening up the shadows more - any tips please? I have read the manual, several times and sat with it and the camera trying to work out the menus. I am not brilliant at working through that kind of stuff, because I can't remember things like that and I still struggle to find things in the menu. I have to refer to the book to find out how to get to some things that are quite basic. It doesn't seem to be logical to me where things are stored (I don't care how easy YOU find it ! I don't, because I am not you. Mobile phones are even worse. )

So, how can I tweek my shadows without just over exposing everything please? At time of capture, I should say - I don't want to be fiddling with an entire shoot after the fact.

2. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Have you tried the Q button and looked in the quick menu? There should be shadow and highlight controls in there by default. You can adjust them both easily that way.

3. alexmilesg3

alexmilesg3 FujiXspot Regular

Dec 31, 2015
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Alex
    You might find some help here. I posted a small guide on how to change the settings.
    X-T2 ACROS issues

4. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    It must be me, but I was confused by the time I read your second picture about the Q menu..... it is very complicated. I need to read it a few times slowly I think before I will understand the instructions, but thanks for pointing me to them. I will take some time to read through them and try to do what it says.

5. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    What sort of results do they give - the numbers are meaningless without some idea of what they refer to.
    EG - moving the highlights to -2, does that prevent them from being bright and crisp, or does it just reduce them a bit? Is it -2 stops, or just a figure on the scale?
    Likewise for the shadows. Presumably to open them up a bit I need a + setting?

6. alexmilesg3

alexmilesg3 FujiXspot Regular

Dec 31, 2015
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Alex
    No, for shadow higher numbers means you are making them darker (increase the shadow)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    SO it sounds like you just need to find the Shadows tile in that Q Menu, and scroll it to -1 or -2. That's where mine lives, for what it's worth.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    Thanks guys - I'll find the shadows setting and readjust, because it sounds like I have misunderstood the numbering system. Now to work out how to get to that menu again!

9. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Looking at the back of the XT2, there's a little "Q" button just past the top right corner of the LCD. Hit that sucker, navigate around to the Shadows tile using the joystick, and I think on my XT1 I can adjust by rolling the little black dial under my pointer finger, below the shutter button.

10. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    Thanks - I wondered how I got that window with all the blocks init, when I was trying to move the focus point! I hadn't seen the Q button, despite spending hours with the book in my hands and the camera on the table in front of me.
    I shall go and do it now. -2 to start with.

11. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I think you'll be a lot happier. Let us know how it works out?

12. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    I've managed to get it to -2....that wasn't obvious either. The lit up bit kept jumping around the screen. Eventually I discovered how to change the figures, but I can't remember what it was now. I'll do some pictures this week and give some feed back - dull and gloomy here at the moment. Not much incentive, and I have some shelves to put up.

13. bs1946

bs1946 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 12, 2016
    You can adjust Shadows (S-Tone), Highlights (H-Tone), Color, Sharpness (Sharp), Noise Reduction (NR), and Grain. Except for grain, you can select 0 or +/- 4 for each value. And pick your film simulation before you shoot. All of these should be in the Quick Menu QR or if you prefer, you can add them to the new MyMenu so when you hit the Menu button, they come up first. If you go to the screen settings submenu and set Preview Pic. Effect to ON, you will see the effects of your adjustments in live view before you shoot and as you change them. This also includes Exposure, White Balance, etc. There is also a Preview Exp/WB setting that allows you to see the results of exposure only or exposure and WB in manual mode.

You can also shoot RAW if you want and use the in-camera RAW converter to create any jpegs you want before you download anything. Just enter Preview, select a RAW image and press the Q Button. Make the adjustments you want and press Q again. If you like what you see, hit Menu/OK to save the jpeg or if not, hit Disp/Back to return to the editing parameters. You can also download RFC2 from the Fuji Website, that will you allow to edit RAW files on your computer. It is an older version of SilkyPix that will just work on Fuji RAFs and Jpegs.

14. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    WOW, that is an excellent and very helpful reply - thank you.

It goes to show, this camera is far more capable than I am. I shall try and get the RAW or Silky to work on my computer too - it is just all this extra that I wasn't expecting. To other people it was obvious, but they probably understand how computers and stuff works.

15. bs1946

bs1946 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 12, 2016
    I meant to ask; is the software you use with your Nikon RAW files the free software that Nikon provides or did you buy something? Also, if your having a difficult time with the X-T2 because the manual looks like it was written by a bunch of third graders. You may want to take a look at Rico Pfirstinger's X-T2 book. You can get a kindle edition from Amazon to keep on your smartphone or tablet for reference. Or you can go to FujiRUMORS where they usually have a discount code to get the book from the publishers website. There may be one around here also. Once you get your X-T2 set up for your shooting style, the ooc jpegs are fantastic and you may not even want to mess with RAFs.

16. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    Thanks for all that - i will go and buy the book, it can be a Christmas present.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    Not sure if it was on here, but someone told me how to get to the menu where you can adjust the 'curves' as in highlight and shadow settings...BRILLIANT. My shadows don't block up now. The numbers are back to front to what I would have expected..... -2 to me, means darker! Getting some half decent shots now I have turned the knob in the right direction.

We went for a Sunday morning walk before a pub lunch so I took the camera to practise with it, focus practise and exposure practise. I even gave the camera to Anna to get a picture of me and the dogs (she wanted one, because she only has one picture of me!)
    DSCF0009.c.

DSCF0100.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Nice! Glad to hear you got the ship righted.