Testing out Capture One Pro 7 vs Lightroom 5

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by woody112704, May 14, 2014.

1. woody112704

woody112704 FujiXspot Regular

Dec 20, 2013
    I downloaded the trial for Capture One Pro 7 and Lightroom 5 to see which one I liked best. Each definitely have their pros and cons. This is based on using the X-T1.

Lightroom Pros: Seems to be more intuitive to me definitely easier to use for a beginner.
    Better integration with other programs such as the Nik Products, Topaz, OnOne and Photoshop.
    I personally like how LR does the gradient tool and the radial one is a bonus as well.
    It's about half the price of Capture One

Cons: Doesn't quite resolve the same amount of detail as what Capture one is able to do.
    More work to get the colors right IMO.

Capture One Pros: Resolves much better detail than LR.
    Colors are much more realistic just loading up and doing a few minor tweaks to the exposure. Not doing any color tweaking. Also the color seems richer without having to tweak it.
    I noticed on a couple of pictures that there were colors in the trees and different areas where it didn't really show up in LR.
    I could really see myself using the Auto Adjustment feature of Capture One a lot because it seems to do a pretty good job and cut down on a lot of processing time.

Cons: The $300 price tag. I would go for Express which is a little cheaper than LR but with Express you lose: Sessions which could be a neat feature especially if you are going to try and make money off of photography, you don't get the Local Adjustments which are the brush and gradient which is a huge loss IMO, Skin Tone Enhancer, and can't customize how the tools are set up like exposure, levels, curve etc.
    Doesn't seem as easy to get used to as LR was but then again I have only been using it for a few days.
    Lack of integration. If they added being able to use plug-ins I think the $300 price would be more justifiable.

2. woody112704

Dec 20, 2013
    Some examples, I want to see what you guys think is the better one. I tried my best to get them to look the same. I will be adding some more later when I get more done.

A tree from down in Florida.
    14182132905_b854df3c03_h. Tree0 by woody112704, on Flickr

14179489112_5cc309a84c_h. Tree1 by woody112704, on Flickr

B&W shot of a marina across the lake. The B&W was achieved in LR and Capture One only. No outside processing.
    13995502927_e2927c6649_h. Marina0 by woody112704, on Flickr

14158959626_afd97795d0_h. Marina1 by woody112704, on Flickr

3. merosen

merosen FujiXspot Rookie

Apr 5, 2014
    Somerville, MA (Boston)
    Mark
    Every so often it goes on sale for $200
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
  4. woody112704

Dec 20, 2013
    I was curious if people could tell which program was used for which picture, that's why I didn't label them as LR or CO. Got around to doing some more and I must say that the detail CO can bring out is crazy. You can definitely notice it. Now that said, I still absolutely love the local adjustments you can make with LR. Too bad you can't just merge the 2 programs together to make a super power housed Raw processor. If that were possible that would definitely be worth the $300 regular price.

Palm Trees at a park.
    14198966171_b8a4bdb078_h. FLTest by woody112704, on Flickr

14179116056_ee38cc859c_h. FLtest1-1 by woody112704, on Flickr

The lake.
    14198963671_a3b3801498_h. FLTest_1 by woody112704, on Flickr

14202244485_bd28966ae5_h. FLtest1-2 by woody112704, on Flickr

5. woody112704

Dec 20, 2013
  6. woody112704

Dec 20, 2013
    And some birds for the final post.
    14198962561_d0f1bf6cb6_h. FLTest_4 by woody112704, on Flickr

14015650537_ac79a3cf3b_h. FLtest1-5 by woody112704, on Flickr

Having spent time with each program, I still think the pros and cons of each are on point. But also after seeing a post on here with this link for sharpening in LR for the X-trans http://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/2014/02/updated-x-trans-sharpening-presets-lightroom/ I have become much more satisfied with the images from LR. I still think I like Capture One better but not being able to use plug-ins easier is a real killer as well as the price. They both are really great products and I have to say compared to Photo Ninja I found Capture One to be more intuitive and a lot like LR with importing images and setting up your tools. Both were enjoyable to use and I think over time I would get better with Capture One and processing on it would be as quick as I am with LR. The only thing that really gave me any hang up though in CO was the color editor. If you are looking to switch from LR, I would highly recommend trying CO out if the price tag doesn't scare you away.

That being said, I'm going to stick with LR5 and maybe later down the road when CO goes on sale again I'll nab it.

7. chipbutty

chipbutty FujiXspot Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Sheffield, UK
    Phase One had it on sale last month with 40% off. I bought it yesterday from a place here in the UK with 50% off :)

8. woody112704

Dec 20, 2013
    Lucky! Yea I had gotten the trial like a few days before the sale was over and didn't have time to extensively test it to see if I really wanted it over LR. So I'll have to wait till it goes on sale again unfortunately.

9. bobbywise

bobbywise FujiXspot Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    Nantes
    Robert Wisbey
  10. pfogle

pfogle New to FujiXspot

May 17, 2014
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm impressed with what Capture One can do with the raw files. Even knocking down its default sharpening, I get files with more detail than I do out of LR. But Lightroom is part of the Adobe Cloud subscription, and the $10 a month to keep it and Photoshop up to date is pretty painless. $300 for C1, would be a painful hit, especially since the difference is not that noticeable at the sizes I typically print.

But there are other reasons I'd like Capture One: It doesn't automatically apply lens correction, thus softening files even where the distortion is not noticeable. Lightroom is easier to use, but between that and its handling of X-Trans raw files, it makes me want the Phase One program when the budget will allow it, which will not be when my trial expires

12. MikePhotos

MikePhotos FujiXspot Rookie

Oct 8, 2013
    Capture One also has a monthly subscription option.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Lawrence A.

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks! That might be the way to go. I also download Photo Ninja and am more impressed with it than either LR or C1 for the amount of detail it retains for the raw files. So I'll play with all three and then decide which way to go. Each has it's strong points. Capture One color took the most work while Lightroom color required the least. An so forth...

14. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Iridient Developer should offer the best Fuji film simulation implementation, for APS-C X-Trans and 2/3" X-Trans cameras alike. It's also easy to integrate in Lightroom, and unlike PhotoNinja, it supports lens metadata and is able to closely reproduce the tone mapping of Fuji's DR function (using the Extreme Highlight Recovery slider).

15. Lawrence A.

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    But it's for Mac. Never liked them when they did rule the graphics industries, but that has not been true for a long time, certainly not in the photo industry. In any event, I'm not going to change computer systems for it. If I had that money available, there are several lenses - xf and m43 - that I'd get first.

In the meantime, I've downloaded Photo Ninja, and of the PC options available, it seems to me to have done the best job so far. It produces a 16 bit tiff from the x-trans raw with more native detail than either LR or CO. Lightroom does better if you up the detail slider and go lightly on the "amount" slider, but it gets harsh and overdone looking pretty quickly.

So, for the money, I'll probably get Photo Ninja for my X-trans raw files. Iridient seems a bit better, but I'm unlikely to change computer systems any time soon. I'm finding Windows 10 very much to my liking -- once you turn off Microsoft's spyware.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015