The Dock Before Dawn

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jman13, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Left a little early this morning and got some pre-dawn light. Both with X-E1 and 18-55:

cbus_boats1.

cbus_boats_bw.

Here's the first in B&W (which I actually prefer to the color, though I like both):
    cbus_boats1bw.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Really lovely shots, Jordan.

3. pniev

pniev Guest

Very nice. Must have been special. In this case I prefer no. 1 because f the colors / mystique.
    Thanks

4. petach

petach FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    very nice indeed. I was up at dawn too.....thousands of miles away doing the same in london!

5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z FujiXspot Regular

Mar 10, 2013
    western Colorado
    Great composition and a great camera make for a great photo

6. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Nice shots Jordan, have to admit to liking the B&W more but a very close thing.

Reminds me of the song " Sitting on the dock of the bay"

7. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    Lovely in color, striking in B&W. It's a toss-up for me, they are all excellent work. I think I generally prefer horizontal photos, so 1 (and 3) win for overall composition but 2 is a beautiful shot that might look even better if it weren't sandwiched between the others and competing for attention.

I wonder if my preference for horizontal is a result of seeing most photos on a horizontal screen for so many years now - wide photos take up most or all of the screen but tall photos are inevitably smaller and only taking up the middle third or thereabouts.

8. cherrywood

cherrywood FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Ohio
    Very nice, what was the shutter speed?
    Like both, also but slightly prefer the color, as it has nicer reflections in the water.
    Thanks,
    Dennis.

9. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    EXIF is in tact. I believe the first is 15 seconds at f/14. Second is 10 seconds.