The Glades (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Aug 6, 2017.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    Cranberry Glades is a cluster of boreal-type bogs in Pocahontas County, WV. An alpine setting at an altitude of 3,800 feet (according to my GPS), it is a vast upland plateau surrounded by several much higher mountains. The ecosystem is very similar to areas in Canada, with over 60 varieties of plants found nowhere else in WV. Quite the fascinating place, you can read more about it here: Pocahontas County | Cranberry Glades/Nature Center

Saturday morning, 8-5-17, I made the almost 3 hour drive from my house to ride my bike on Cow Pasture Trail, a 7 mile long loop circling and crossing the bogs. Due to the elevation, the growing season is quite different from where I live, and I found many trees already starting to go through senescence, and Great Rhododendron (the state flower) blooming in abundance long after it was finished in other parts of the state. Lots of other things blooming, too. It was quite chilly and overcast when I arrived, and the wind howled all day, but it did eventually clear and get warmer. I'm looking forward to going back in a couple of months at the peak of Autumn.

All of the following images were taken with the X30. The X-T1 stayed home this time, and I honestly didn't miss it. Great camera that it is, the X30 has consistently produced for me.

DSCF8242D-2.JPG DSCF8248D.JPG

DSCF8272a.JPG
    DSCF8276a.JPG
    DSCF8286a.JPG
    DSCF8283a.JPG
    DSCF8293a.JPG
    DSCF8295a.JPG
    DSCF8300a.JPG DSCF8303a.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  2. Westender

Westender FujiXspot Regular

Very challenging exposure for sure Tony with the clear bright sky and deep shadows of the landscape. My weekly walking group does a lot of hikes through the forested areas on Vancouver Island and I always take the X30 along. I've been working on my technique with the X30 to handle high contrast scenes so I know the challenges well . . nice job here. I'll have a browse through my library and maybe post a few . . but in a new thread so I don't mess up your thread here. Beautiful country . . lots of boreal forest in Canada for sure!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    A couple more at a wetlands area a few miles away. Simply stunning scenery.

DSCF8341a.JPG
    DSCF8342a.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  4. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Beautiful set, Tony! Gotta love the X30. It goes on all my hikes and kayaking trips.

5. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    Thanks. I do hope you keep yours in a dry bag. I learned that lesson the hard way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    The X30 always travels in a drybag whilst kayaking. I only take it out at rest stops and lunch breaks, or occasionally when there is very little wind and slow current.

• Agree Agree x 1