Photography websites worth your time

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
How about some suggestions for good photography websites to go with the good photography books?

Here are two to start with, both with a German accent, that I check every day:

Conscientious run by Jörg M. Colberg is 'dedicated to contemporary fine-art photography'.
The Sonic Blog is the work of Peter Feldhaus and is 'dedicated to art photography focussing on contemporary photography from Europe and the USA.'

Boxed Light - Photography by Jim Radcliffe by Jim Radcliffe.

I came across his website when researching which compact camera to buy, saw his Leica D-Lux photos which are just awesome. I went with the cheaper Panasonic LX5 which I've just bought online yesterday, waiting for the package to arrive. I had the D-Lux 5 and LX5 in mind already but couldn't justify the x2 price increase.

Thanks Neil. Some great suggestions. Only one of them previously known to me. Particularly happy to find The Invisible Ph t grapher - fantastic images and great content.

Love boxed light. Has been one of my favorite sites to visit.

Boxed Light - Photography by Jim Radcliffe by Jim Radcliffe.

I came across his website when researching which compact camera to buy, saw his Leica D-Lux photos which are just awesome. I went with the cheaper Panasonic LX5 which I've just bought online yesterday, waiting for the package to arrive. I had the D-Lux 5 and LX5 in mind already but couldn't justify the x2 price increase.

This is going to turn out to be a dangerous thread for me - more time to spend doing what I enjoy! Looking at pictures...but it's good timing for the upcoming winter.

Many thanks and keep 'em coming!

I found Jim Radcliffe's photos too, that's what led me to legacy lenses.

What was it about the legacy lenses that you liked? I'm still learning about the differences between the brands of lenses, I'm afraid I can't really see the difference yet. I can only assume it's like when I hear the difference between an upright piano and a Steinway concert grand, or maybe even between two very well made grands like say a Steinway and a Baldwin.

Love boxed light. Has been one of my favorite sites to visit.

I wish he was able to update his site more often with new photos but I know photography is only a hobby for him. It's inspiring to see what he can do with his compacts, half of which is also attributable to his post-treatment skills with photoshop.

From Tbilisi the website of local photographer Gia Chkhatarashvili. Don't worry if you can't pronounce it.

Have a look at his series on Ushguli (the highest village in Europe in the NW of Georgia where he has been returning year after year for 20 years to shoot), his village portraits and his landscapes (one of which is currently on its way to me to hang on the wall).

I woke up to find an email from my daughter with James Nachtwey's website sent as a link. She wanted me to look at his photographs. I began with his home page which has a quotation and then a listing of headings on the left. As I clicked through them, I knew I was looking at images I would never forget. Afterwards, I read his biography. Here is the Home page link: James Natchwey's website: James Nachtwey

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
my testimony. The events I have recorded should
not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-

I woke up to find an email from my daughter with James Nachtwey's website sent as a link. She wanted me to look at his photographs. I began with his home page which has a quotation and then a listing of headings on the left. As I clicked through them, I knew I was looking at images I would never forget. Afterwards, I read his biography. Here is the Home page link: James Natchwey's website: James Nachtwey

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
my testimony. The events I have recorded should
not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-

I was blown away the first time I saw Nachtwey's images. But what changed my life - literally!! - is watching Christian Frei's documentary on him called "The War Photographer". For those who have not seen it, well I cannot recommend it highly enough! Be warned some scenes are gruesome and others horrific, but well worth the overall feeling and appreciation you walk away with.

OK, it's not a website, but......hey, maybe there are portions available for viewing online if that validates this entry. I bought the DVD and watch it every now and again for inspiration.

The Luddite - aka Stills :redface:

Back