The x-pro/60mm combination is impressive

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pniev, Jun 8, 2013.

1. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    It's not D800E or mid-format level (yet) but being able to see those details makes me very happy!
    BTW: the polishing requires great skills and years of training to reach that level of perfection. The craftmanship of humankind amazes me each time again!

View attachment 13804

And 2 crops from this pic:

View attachment 13806

View attachment 13808

2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I don't "get" watches, but I definitely "get" photos, and these are VERY nice.

3. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Impressive macro photography (and craftsmanship as well) indeed!!

4. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thanks! There are aficionados for about everything: cars, sigars, whisky, fashion, knives, sticks, cameras, etc. I never understood the fascination for watches until I learned more about the production process, the technology and the craftmanship. Given the forces a watch movement has to endure, it is unbelievable that it still runs after 200 years or so, long after any car engine has moved from reality to dream. Unfortunately the glamour has taken over nowadays in the industry.

Anyway, the good thing about taking photos of watches is that it is much cheaper than collecting watches. Others collect. I shoot photos of their watches. Everybody happy ;-) I admire pro photographers like Ming Thein who are capable of capturing the essence and creating atmosphere.

5. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Seconding Luke. These are very interesting shots, considering I am not into watches and tinkering stuff. :)

6. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thanks! I do admit that mechanical watches fascinate me. Perhaps because, like photography, technology, art, and passion come together. But I only used these photos to illustrate how much the x/60mm combination impresses me. Here are some other examples from another watch. Both are crops from a movement shot. Hopefully you like them!

BTW: the engraving in the balance cock (which is the little thing at the bottom of the second photo with the wheel and which is less than half of a finger nail) is engraved by hand. The type of engraving reveals who engraved it. This video shows how they do it: [video=vimeo;27461636]http://vimeo.com/27461636[/video]

I admire the skills of the person and I admire his/her patience and passion. The rounding of the bridge reveals that this is handwork, not machine-made.

Call me nuts but that fascinates me. ;-)

View attachment 13852

View attachment 13853

7. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    It seems like it is many other things in life that until you gain even a little bit of insight into the specifics of something, there may not be much to draw one in. Hearing your passion and really looking at all the details, I can see why people are into them. But to me (and others can vary....that's why there's 31 flavors), it's watches like THIS one that would appeal to me. I think the really cool part about the watch is the inner workings and I really like seeing them. A beautiful wrist ornament that tells time wouldn't be nearly as cool to me.

Thanks for shedding some light. And you're definitely also right about the Fuji and the 60mm....they pack quite a punch.