The X10 brought the joy back

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by It'sGreg, Feb 3, 2013.

1. It'sGreg

It'sGreg FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 3, 2013
    Iowa
    I've been shooting photos for a few decades now. I was introduced to photography on a cheap Leica knock-off rangefinder. Totally manual, of course, which meant I had to learn and understand the fundamentals: aperture, shutter speed, film speed, depth of field, grain. Every camera I bought after that made the work a wee bit easier. From rangefinder to single lens reflex, from film to digital, from manual focus to auto-focus, from prime lenses to zoom lenses.

I never lost my interest in photography, but it became almost routinized. Then I got a Fujifilm X10. I wanted it because it was small, sturdy, and would easily fit in a bike bag. I hadn't anticipated how much I'd enjoy the camera.

Once I discovered I could turn everything off, I started shooting like I was a kid again. It forced me to remember the fundamentals again, and that required me to be more in the moment, and that brought back the joy. After a week or so, I'd adapted to working without any information in the viewfinder, but even so I spent the first month or so making the most wonderful boneheaded mistakes. Each of those mistakes reminded me of a lesson I'd learned years ago -- lessons I'd taken for granted for so many years.

The camera I got for the bike bag has become the camera I take everywhere. It's made me a better photographer. It made me feel like a kid, and it brought the joy back.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Greg that is a great story. I think that a new camera can inspire and I am glad that the X10 has for you. It's similarity to a film camera - not accidental - is I think appealing to many including me. Share that love by showing us your photos!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    There are a few cameras that brought back the fun to photography for me recently for a variety of reasons. They include the Pentax K-01, the Pentax Q and the Olympus Pen Minis.

I didn't buy the Fuji X100 for a variety of reasons that include just not having the money when the opportunity presented itself. But I knew I would eventually own some of the Fuji X models as soon as I picked up the X100 at B&H Photo in New York. Nothing since my first SLR, a mid-1970s Minolta SRT-200 (100 percent manual) had felt like that to me.

I actually did own the X-10 briefly and allowed myself to be diverted by the white orb issue. I plan on correcting that mistake with the X-20.

It's clear the Fuji X cameras resonate with photographers who started in the film era. But I wonder how they do with young people.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jules

Jules FujiXspot Rookie

Well I'm one of those photographers who never shot film - I've only ever used digital cameras. What I like about my X10 and the X100 I borrowed is that they make me more aware of the fundamentals of photography. I like the simplicity of using the manual controls. When I use my X10, I focus on exposure and composition and the quality of the light. When I use my 7D, I sometimes find myself distracted by the AF settings and metering mode, etc, etc (although to be fair, that is more an issue with the 7D - my 5DII is more 'comfortable' to me).

I think that using the Fujis makes me work harder and smarter and ultimately that will make me a better photographer, regardless of which camera I am using. Of course, that would be true of any old-style camera, it's just that Fuji are the only non-DSLR brand I use.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Greg: The joy never really left for me, but I do understand how a different camera, one especially to your liking, can rekindled waning enthusiasm. And the X10 is a perfect camera to do that, since it's easy to keep with you all the time. One the reasons I keep more cameras than need, strictly speaking, is that picking one up that has gone unused for a while can get me excited. Even as a kid, as was easily bored, and a new toy, or one that's gone neglected for a while can rekindle interest.

The X-10 makes you think enough to get the most from it that it's a great little camera for re-igniting the spark.

Have a blast!

6. photogfollett

photogfollett FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    San Carlos, California
    John
    I get it Greg. Sometimes I just get the X10 out when sitting at the computer just to feel it in my hands and take a couple of
    worthless pictures of junk on my desk.

• Like Like x 1
  7. EBC Wilson

EBC Wilson FujiXspot Regular

Feb 20, 2013
    My history would parallel Greg's. I started in the Dark Ages with an utterly manual Folding camera (zone focus, no RF!) and a Kodak Photoguide. Owned lots of different things over the years, but drew the line at this d**n digital bidness ! I was NOT going to shoot pictures with a plastic brick held out at arms' length, and DSLR's were confusing with the many formats (FX, DX, 1.7, 4/3, m4/3, sheesh . . . . ).

I was always a Fuji fan, and was dumbstruck by the X100, but at the time, too much $$$, and I really wanted a zoom. Bang, X10, half the price. Bought one sight unseen, opened the box and have been in love ever since. It works the way I work. I like the look. I love the way it feels in my hands . . . . like a real camera. Wonderful zoom. Have never looked back. Bought an X-S1, and am watching for someone to bail on a barely used Black X100 set so they can get a 100S. It's a wonderful life !

8. nianys

nianys FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    France
    Claire
    Yes ! I do the same. Though I have a bunch of pretty desirable cameras around me, and so far the NEX 7 is my main tool, I often just handle the X10 for kicks, and snap a couple of shots to make sure it IS as insanely good as I believe it to be. And to my ever renewed surprise, it is.
    In fact I never thought a compact camera could come that close of being the sole camera I'd need. There are a NEX 7, GX-1, D90 and X100 in my house right now, but going anywhere (except if for a portrait session), the X10 takes the ride. Of course I like the APS-C chip of the NEX 7 better, but I ditched all E lenses except for the SEL35 because I found both kit zoom so lame. That bright, sharp, versatile lens of the X10 is a big part of the magic...

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Greg, reading your thread has been a great way for me to start off my day with my cup o' coffee and your rediscovered joy! You've made me happy just reading this. The X10 is a great, tough little jewel. :tiphat:

10. photogfollett

photogfollett FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    San Carlos, California
    John
    I'm going through a serious G.A.S. stage at the moment. I've started selling off a couple of my basses to potentially fund a new X-E1 purchase but then when I go through my X10 pics I wonder if it will improve my images or just satisfy my lust for new Fuji equipment...:confused:

I think I need to hook up with Henry (hcreatives) and try out his X-E1....

11. It'sGreg

It'sGreg FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 3, 2013
    Iowa
    I have a friend who complains the X10 isn't really 'pocketable.' I suppose there's some truth to that -- and if you're looking for a true pocket camera, the X10 probably isn't the way to go. But I have no trouble sliding it into (and, more importantly, out of) a jacket pocket and it fits just fine in the pockets of cargo pants/shorts. For me, though, once I have the camera in hand, it pretty much stays in my hand. I have a little Gordy wrist strap and I often just walk around with the camera in the palm of my hand.

I'm probably going to upgrade to the X20 at some point, but I'm in no particular hurry. This camera does about 90% of what I need a camera to do, and for that other 10% I can drag out my Nikon DSLR (which, by the way, now feels about the size and weight of a cinder block when I take it in hand). I'd probably do much of my shooting with the X10 even if it wasn't so much fun.

• Like Like x 1