Thoughts on the Fuji 60mm f/2.4 Macro?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Biro, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've been enjoying my Fuji X-E1, purchased on closeout for $499. With the latest firmware, it's really just fine even if the X-E2 is a bit better. I picked up the 18mm and 27mm at the same time and I'm thinking about adding one or two more lenses with the credit I have left with Amazon.com.

Up front, I have to say the very newest and best Fuji lenses are generally out of the picture for me due to cost. But I suppose if I see a strong enough argument, I could perhaps purchase one of the more-expensive lenses versus two less-expensive lenses. But my collection of Fuji lenses will stop there for quite a while.

But, right now, I'm thinking about picking up the 35mm for its speed (I actually like the FOV from the 27mm a bit more) and possibly the 60mm macro. The 35mm has gotten consistently good reviews but I haven't heard much about the 60mm. Can anyone give me some real-world feedback? I'm open to all suggestions.

2. Christilou

Christilou FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  3. dmward

dmward FujiXspot Regular

Nov 12, 2013
    If you accept the 60mm Macro for what it is its a fine lens. Its a Macro lens first, then a portrait lens in my view.

It works well for handheld macro and also on a tripod. Now that I have the 56 F1.2 I doubt that I'll use it much for portraits. Before I got the 56mm is was the lens I used. Not fast focusing but then again, macro and portraits don't require great focus speed.

The only question I have personally, is if I need a macro lens for the X kit. Then again, for the price its a sharp, light easy to have along lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. landshark

landshark Fujiman

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    same here

• Like Like x 1
  5. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    I did like this lens the least in the Fuji lineup so I sold it. It had problems with (auto)focus, so I used manual focusing mainly. It's hard to say why I did not particularly like the results. It's a sharp lens but it just did not work for me. If you want to use the 60mm for macro (although it's not true macro), perhaps you can consider buying a manual focus lens?

• Like Like x 1
  6. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

If you like telephoto, the 55-200 is really nice. Kinda big, tho. I believe it's selling for near the same as the 2 your contemplating. The 35mm is a must!

• Like Like x 1