Fuji F600EXR + Northern Lights

S

stammers

Hi all

Hoping to see the Northern Lights next weekend in Norway. I've just got the f600exr and am a newbie so would really appreciate any tips on how to shoot the Northern Lights.
I'm assuming I need to set the shutter speed to max but I haven't really figured out how to do that despite looking at the manual.
Apart from selecting SP mode and Night Tripod I'm not really sure what I should do!
Any tips on ISO, mode, DR, Apperture would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Dejan

Never had the opportunity but I did look something up, maybe this will help you Dejan. How to photograph the northern lights with a digital camera.

Thanks for the link Iso.
The f600exr doesn't have manual focus so not sure if that will have a big impact.
Basically sounds like I should use Shutter Priority mode, with the slowest shutter speed (8 secs max on the f600exr), high ISO 800+, tripod (have a pocket one so will have to do) and a self timer (presumably so you dont shake the camera?).

Presumably shooting northern lights would require the same conditions as shooting at night, so I could try Scene Position mode and 'Night Tripod'?

I'll have to experiment at night because so far the only shots I've taken of the night sky have been absolutely awful, no light and lots of noise when adjusting in adobe raw :(

Anyone have experience with these EXR cameras?
I thought the slowest shutter speed was meant to be 8secs for this model, but playing with it I could only get 4 secs in fireworks mode.
On p127 of the manual it has some disclaimer about the shutter speed being the 'combined mechanical and electronic' shutter speed.

Anyone have experience with these EXR cameras?
I thought the slowest shutter speed was meant to be 8secs for this model, but playing with it I could only get 4 secs in fireworks mode.
On p127 of the manual it has some disclaimer about the shutter speed being the 'combined mechanical and electronic' shutter speed.

I have the 600, but have not tried the very long exposures you mention, will have to play with it a bit

I had no luck at all trying to photograph the lights with the f600exr. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but it seems to me that if you're after an ISO of 800+, want an aperture of f3.5 and a shutter delay of 8 seconds, even though on paper this camera can provide that, it seems that it can't do that combination or any combination capable of capturing enough light. So almost all the photos I took were pitch black.

However the guide took a few decent photos which you can see here along with the other photos I took while in Tromso on the f600exr during the day which turned out rather decent (despite the lack of skill on my part)
View attachment 2981

View attachment 2982

View attachment 2983
Tromso 2012

Back