Tough Choice for a Month Long Trip to Vietnam: 23mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bobby Bokeh, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Bobby Bokeh

Bobby Bokeh New to FujiXspot

Dec 26, 2013
    Paradise
    So I am rolling with the Zeiss wide angle, and the obligatory 55-200, and have room for one more lens.

Should it be the 23 or the 35?

Whichever I choose will be used mostly for street portraiture.

Thoughts?

Aloha

2. faberryman

faberryman FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 13, 2013
    I'd take the 18-55mm. I'd probably leave the 55-200mm home and take a second body instead. Do forget batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dacalac

Dacalac FujiXspot Veteran

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    I'd say the 35mm. When taking a portrait of a stranger it'll give you enough room so they don't feel like you're entering into their personal or private space. Just my $0.02.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    For traditional street photography I'd go with the 35mm equivalent (the 23mm), but seeing as you said 'street portraiture' I'd be inclined to go a little bit longer so the Fuji 35mm

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bobby Bokeh

Dec 26, 2013
    Paradise
    18-55 not an option. But good thought!
    I got plenty of batteries, solar charging unit (I'll be in the sticks alot), all the goodies for remote spots.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bobby Bokeh

Dec 26, 2013
    Paradise
    Gracias! I think you are spot on.

7. tomrock

tomrock FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Tom Rockwell
    I say the 23. You can always crop :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. markitos

markitos FujiXspot Regular

Jan 16, 2014
    Durham, NC
    Mark
    I'd go with the 35 as well... a little lighter and smaller, good all around lens. I don't think you'd go far wrong with either, though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If you specifically want to do posed portraits rather than street scenes, 35mm lens would be more suitable to avoid perspective distortion.

However, if I had to pick just one lens to work with for everything I'd take the 23mm personally because I like the wider FOV for general shooting.

If it were me going on the trip, I'd find a way to take both lenses, because I know whichever one I left at home is the one I'd want with me on the trip :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FujiXspot Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    behind an [X°]
    Ken
    I've been to Vietnam (all over Asia) with nothing but a 35mm (full frame) a couple times and didn't need anything else, but that's just me and I'm not too big a fan of 50mm as an allday-all-purpose or street lens. I'd second the amazing 1855 but since you don't have it ... My one is the best bang-for-the-buck I've bought in 40 years, next to the 30mm Sigma for the NEXes.

11. Bobby Bokeh

Dec 26, 2013
    Paradise
    Sounds good. Thanks!

12. Bobby Bokeh

Dec 26, 2013
    Paradise
    So I am back, 10 days early because of the Thai kerfluffle, Vietnam was awesome.

I ended up hauling the 55-200 which was useful fo the shots of the eiffel towers, yes, eiffel towerS.
    The Zeiss 12mm wide angle was a blast around Saigon at night, and the 23 made a great portrait of the fly lens.
    There may be a gopro shot in the photostream here and there, but mostly everything was on the Fuji, and I could not have been happier, wished I had the money for a 55-18, but shoots it worked great and was waaaay lighter than my D800E setup.

I have a ton more photos to go through, but the ipad and PS on the go, and snapseed made these possible, but I tried to keep the editing to a minimum. Was very very happy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99435209@N05/12676557495/

Aloha and thanks for all your inputs.

• Like Like x 3
  13. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    the xf23 for street.

edit: d'oh! looks like you already got it.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

14. cgeorges

cgeorges New to FujiXspot

Mar 24, 2014
    I would think the wider 23mm is more flexible for street/travel: with a 23mm you can always get closer, but with a 35mm it's harder to walk away in a tight place, narrow streets, close to a tall building, etc.