Using Open Source GIMP

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Peter Chin, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Peter Chin

Peter Chin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    My dad over the summer celebrated his 83rd? birthday (? because we're not really sure *lol*)
    This image was done a few days ago with the Fujifilm X100 (the "s" is still in it's box and may never see the light of day except for the odd firmware updates)
    I'm trying OpenSource Ubuntu and naturally GIMP for photo processing...i'm giving myself a full year. GIMP is no Photoshop, i'm going to see if i can live without those wonderful plug-ins and content aware corrections which should force me to start shooting more diligently within the frame of the viewfinder and be a little more detailed technique wise with the camera's settings and limitations.

There seems to be a "vintage" trend at the moment or i think there is so here's my first try at it using Open Source without those PS plug-ins i really love :p

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. otalp

otalp FujiXspot Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Germany
    Stunning portrait and nice post-processing!

If you prefer OpenSource you might try Lightzone (http://www.lightzoneproject.org). I have been using it for years now and it became OpenSource recently.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Peter Chin

Feb 2, 2013
    Thank you for reminding me about Lightzone being made open now.

Also i found like LR and PS, there are "open source" plug-ins avail able you just need a few strokes to add them :)

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle FujiXspot Regular

Good for you! I too am looking for replacements to Photoshop. I was tempted by their current Black Friday Photography deal but the price is only good for a year. $120 a year is high but doable, more than that is just too much. I also hate that they only take credit cards and only do monthly{for that deal at least}. I looked at Gimp years ago and was not impressed but I may give it another look.

5. Peter Chin

Feb 2, 2013
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle FujiXspot Regular

That is a good looking product and I had seen it before. However it isn't going to give me all the things I want. The problem is I am so used to Photoshop and what it has and how it works. PS Elements is a great program but it is missing a few things I have come to rely on and some other things are there but different.

7. CaptZoom

CaptZoom FujiXspot Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    Peter
    How's the processing speed of GIMP? When last I tried it (several years ago now) it was painfully slow. At the time, I was running Slackware's Linux distro.
    Processing speed is significant for me. So far this year, I've shot and processed over 33,000 images.

8. Peter Chin

Feb 2, 2013
    So far i'm comfortable using it but only one issue although minor right now it can only process 8bit files if gout have 16 bit files it will convert them to 8 bit. I say it's minor because right now the people who view my prints don't see detail as important but if they see them side by side they will know something is different :p
    Capt zoom speed wise i would say its better than when you tried it, i do about 3000 frames a day per event i shoot (sports) and i don't find it slow but with LR and a few plug-ins, i found it much faster.

9. walker

walker FujiXspot Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Italy, Northeast
    sure, my favorite. it works like a charm w/ my X