Uxbridge Underground Station

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Mike G, May 11, 2017.

1. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Built in the 1930s for the Metropolitan Line!

DSCF0769.

X-T2 + 16mm 1.4 @ 1/400 f1.4 ISO 200

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Lee48

Lee48 New to FujiXspot

Apr 22, 2017
    cornwall
    Very nice shot I have not been since the 1960s

3. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    That's quite a while Lee!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Lee48

Lee48 New to FujiXspot

Apr 22, 2017
    cornwall
    I know Mike I went to Belmont Infints school we lived in the bottom of the high street near the Odion cinema I've only just got a Fuji camera been talking photos for quite a while you're photo just jumped out of the blue brought back memories cheers

5. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Over the years I've seen many a film in the Odeon cinema, it is now a gym & fitness centre and none of the three cinemas(Odeon, Regel or the Savoy) have survived!

6. Lee48

Lee48 New to FujiXspot

Apr 22, 2017
    cornwall
    I guess that's progress for you I still have a mate who lives on Uxbridge Common must get up there some time before it's too late !!!

7. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Lee, you may recognise this one! One from my Nikon days.

Uxbridge.

Uxbridge Common is still there and I passed it on the bus this afternoon after lunch at the Orchard in Ruislip!

8. Lee48

Lee48 New to FujiXspot

Apr 22, 2017
    cornwall
    Nice one Mike I still have my beloved Nikon F2 A S

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard

Richard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I've used Uxbridge station many times and I've always been struck by that concrete canopy - it seems more like a cold war military structure or a 1960s brutalist cathedral than a 1930s station. I believe there's something similar at the other end of the Piccadilly Line at Cockfosters, but I haven't ventured out that far east. When it comes to the Met Line I'm more of a semi-fast Watford / Amersham person myself.

-R

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I haven't been to Cockfosters either Richard, I shall have to investigate that journey!

11. Richard

Richard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Thanks to this thread I have just discovered that Cockfosters is in north London, and not to the east as I'd previously assumed. That's what comes of believing the diagram of the stations you see on Piccadilly Line trains without checking where places truly are on a real map. I've just been looking at images of the station at Cockfosters and it's the twin of Uxbridge - the same architect and the same concrete canopy over the station concourse.

-R

12. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Richard, I had a nagging in my head that something was wrong, having googled Cockfosters station, and you are right internally it is the same, but externally they are quite different! Externally Cockfosters reminds me of the station at West Ruislip!

I have to admit to confusing myself and thinking of the Metropolitan Line which terminates at Aldgate in the east! :hmmm: