Viewfinder experiences

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Available Light, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Available Light

Available Light New to FujiXspot

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm currently using mu4/3 (GF1) which came as a godsend as I could continue using my old Leica M and screwmount lenses. Fuji X series appeals to me as I really miss rangefinder focussing; it just takes too long on the GF1, using the enlarged image on the screen is slow compared to the snap of a rangefinder. I am keen to know of people's experiences with Fuji hybrid viewfinders and legacy lenses. Does it work? From what I've read it seems to but when going into a camera store to find out more (a) the staff have little idea what I am talking about and (b) do not have a Leica M to Fuji ZX adaptor that I could try and (c) I suspect if I got that far they would be somewhat aghast at my suggestion of trying out legacy lenses on the stock.

All experiences welcome.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    The Fuji is not really a rangefinder. They hybrid viewfinder is awesome, but you can't focus in the optical finder - you see the auto-focus confirmation there, but there's no way to focus manually there. For that, you need to use the EVF and its much like the GF1 (except the GF1 had a pretty terrible EVF - the new ones are a lot better). So its not a rangefinder experience at all. Its pretty nice, I love it, but I almost never manually focus for critical focus. I'm either using AF or using MF for zone focussing but I very rarely use the magnified view to really focus on the fine detail in anything.

-Ray

3. Available Light

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks Ray, It seems my dream camera is still not quite there yet... and this thread is pretty much extinct :(.

4. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I used my XP1 with a Leica lens the other day and I believe it gave me an electronic focus confirmation. I think I was in EVF mode, but the horizontal line went green when in focus. I was just playing around in a camera store, but if you're okay with focus confirmation, then maybe some additional research would be good before you throw in the towel. If you live in SoCal, OC Camera has Leica to Fuji adaptors, a well stocked shelf of Leica glass and they let me play with them. (I didn't even ask, the shopkeep just grabbed an adaptor and a lens and told to to try it out.)

Gary

5. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    here's a video showing how focusing with legacy glass works on an X-Pro1. It's not as simple as a rangefinder mechanism, but I would say it's quick enough for most types of photography except "action" type subjects (which are tricky with a rangefinder anyways).
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nnZEam7FMyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Available Light

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks Gary and Luke. I really appreciate your comments. Best wishes, Rick (who obviously needs to find a keener photostore – sadly I'm a long way from SoCal).