Walking about with the 35

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by kevistopheles, Apr 28, 2015.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles FujiXspot Veteran

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    17083546578_66636e9bc7_h.
    solo
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

17193064532_d1e925d7f0_h.
    furl
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

16531316654_6f05dfa0ed_h.
    leafence
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

The transition from Sony has not been particularly smooth. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I really miss shooting with my adapted Minoltas. I am hoping some day to be able to find the same kind of joy I had shooting with the native lenses but it hasn't happened yet. The native glass capable of great images (better than any of my adapted glass) but it's not quite the same. A friend suggested perhaps I am struggling with the length of time it takes to break in my new tennis shoes...maybe they're right. I've never been all that patient to begin with.

The 35 is certainly one heck of a lens. It's sharp, has smooth OOF areas and fast. The AF is certainly useable and while I wish it got closer to gets close enough so I can make the images I like to make.

In case anyone is curious I shoot in RAW, process them in Capture One Pro 8 for sharpness and then do the BW conversion in Tonality Pro.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  2. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    As a walkabout lens the 35 is an interesting case. I have always found the 50mm EFL a bit too long for my tastes so I am having trouble getting used to it. The 35 also doesn't close focus that well so the kind of close images I like are more of a challenge. Of course the tradeoff is that the lens is nothing short of spectacular image wise. I think I might get a set of closeup lenses for it.

3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Kevin, grab yourself an MCEX-11 or -16. I have the latter. It takes up zero space in a corner of your bag and gets you closer for marginal cost and no optical compromise

• Like Like x 1
  4. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Well, they're beautiful shots. I found myself starting where you did, initially when I got all the gear.. "this 35 is tad too long." And then it began to grow on me, due I'm sure in no small part from the pictures it takes. Most of the time, I now take the 18-55 for daytime, and the 35 does it all from dusk on.

5. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    The images are what has kept me plugging away with the Fuji. If it they hadn't be so nice I would have probably dumped it all and gone back to my old kit. For the. The 35 seems to be something I can work with and I can see with more time with it the 52mm EFL will seem more natural. I also like the 18-55 but it doesn't balance quite as well on the camera. Then again it's very VERY versatile.

6. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    17151574361_ba4c661738_h.
    Just Hangin'
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

16561648053_30a12e3f9b_h.
    In Full Bloom
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

The 35 can definitely deliver the goods. It's a very interesting lens to use. It reminds me a bit of the Panasonic 20/1.7 (especially the rather leisurely AF) and the PL25/1.4 from my days using m43. You can always nitpick but on balance the 35 is probably one of the best lenses I have used.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
  8. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Kevin, that 35mm is what kept me hanging in there with Fuji for so long. These shots are stunning. Keep at it. Are you using some sort of adapter or extension tubes? I didn't think it would focus as close as you must be for some of these shots.

9. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    No extension tubes or adapter. A few of these are cropped. The 35 makes that a snap given the level of detail it captures. Despite the 9" MFD that Fuji claims, I seem to be able to get AF at about 7".

10. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Good lord that's pretty.

And I agree... I could have it as my only lens, if I could only have one.

11. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    The 35 has really made the difference for me with the XE1. For me the 35 is the single best reason to have a Fuji. I think that by and large all the mirrorless cameras are good with each having their advantages and disadvantages. If I had stayed shooting legacy lenses I would have likely ditched Fuji at some point but the 35 changed all that for me. It's not my favorite focal length, it's AF is leisurely at best and it's build quality is good but not spectacular. BUT, one look at the images and you realize how special the lens is.

Since I picked up the 35 I have tried to use my other lenses but it always ends up back on the camera after a few shots.

17391825188_4bac5aed3f_b.
    Keener
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

16888354123_4aa05b6fb1_b.
    Basin

• Like Like x 2
  12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Let me echo what the others have said! :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  13. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    17432022239_df0c831951_b.
    unfounded optimism

I think what I am enjoying so much about the 35 is that it is a wonderfully flexible tool. The ability to have a narrow DOF is fun, it's sharp as hell and it has excellent detail giving me the ability to do some judicious cropping if need be. It also has character. It's (dare I say it?) very much like some of my favorite legacy lenses.

There is so much to learn and explore with this lens. It'll keep me busy for a while.

• Like Like x 2
  14. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
  15. Saladin

Saladin FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 31, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have been weighing up the 35mm vs the 27mm to match my new xpro1. Viewing this thread hasnt hurt the 35mm's chances, lol.

16. Lumens

Lumens FujiXspot Regular

May 21, 2015
    OK, knock it off!! You make me feel bad! I just ordered the 27mm :). I doubt I will be disappointed, but this thread does give me second thoughts.

17. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Excellent photos