War Photography

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by Gary, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    The LA Times, (April 21), has a rather extensive article on War Photography. Much different than I expected, more of War Photography 101, an intelectual examination, comparisons and contrasts between art (paintings) and photography. Some interesting quotes:

"George Bernard Shaw said he would willingly exchange every painting of the crucified Christ for a single snapshop of him on the cross."

Something to ponder ...

James Salter, at the beginning of his new novel, "All That Is", writes "Everything, writes Salter, was happening at two speeds, 'the desperate haste of action and also at a lesser speed, that of fate.'"

This is so true, in combat everything, but you, is moving in fast motion and your heart is pounding out of your chest in a destrate attempt to catch up.

The article is titled "The shutter speed of fate".

Interesting reading.

Gary

PS- The article is here:
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-war-photography-20130421,0,2009805.story

G

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Gary,
    Our Combat Camera school is here where I'm stationed at.....Hmm..I should at least be able to look at their Education Plan...

3. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    mmmmhhh ... I wouldn't recommend you sign-up.

Older and Wiser,
    -G-

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Since this is the schoolhouse here,
    Lots of young kids....I was at Clothing Sales one day and I saw these kids just snapping away with D700s....I asked them what they were doing, they said just practicing...

They're quite smart though - They shot our Annual Awards Banquet and one of the shooters was explaining to me that they're taught lots of photography theory...

Plenty of Wounded Warriors around - especially with the Center for the Intrepid just being down the street.....One trip over there and you're a different person on exit....