Wednesday on the River

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by merlin, Sep 21, 2017.

1. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Another exciting adventure on the river today. Definitely autumn, with the morning chill necessitating warmer clothing. But the sun warmed things up after a bit, and although there were no headwinds, the current was still quite strong in various places.

The trip back was a different story, as wind gusts up to 25 knots made paddling very challenging. Waves broke over the bow, and the kayaks were blown sideways at times. The adrenalin rush was helpful, and we made it back safely.

Sightings included Canada geese, Ospreys, and a large flock of Blue-winged teal in addition to herons, ravens and turkey vultures. And as always, the stillness, solitude, and deep connections with nature and spirit were inspiring and uplifting.

These are photos of the rock cliffs at Cochiti Canyon, where we stopped for lunch.

X30F3470_lzn.

X30F3471_lzn.

X30F3472_lzn.

X30F3475_lzn.

X30F3473_lzn.

X30F3477_lzn.

X30F3467_lzn.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Super as usual Merlin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Thanks very much, Mike!

4. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Some of them he rock faces look as though they have been quarried by man but I'm sure they haven't. Also I assume I can see life preservers in the kayak cockpits?

5. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    No rock quarries there!!! Yes, those are our pfds (personal flotation devices), along with sprayskirts and paddles.