What are the best value lenses for the X-Mount?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by psknapp, Feb 16, 2013.

1. psknapp

psknapp New to FujiXspot

Feb 16, 2013
    I usually take portraits and snapshots, but also like street photography. Looking at best bang for the buck.

2. capodave

capodave FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Mission Viejo CA
    Dave Kavlich
    If you haven't purchased the body yet, I don't think you can go wrong with the 18-55.
    When purchased together it's a nice system, and I thnk a lot of bang for the buck.

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    none are cheap, so the best bang for the buck is whatever focal length you'll use the most.

4. Bernie Ess

Bernie Ess FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 11, 2013
    If only one lens, then the 35mm 1,4. If you are a "zoom guy", the kit zoom, very good lens, but you give up lens speed. It is very different to shoot a 2,8 to f4 rather than a F1,4 lens.

Even the 18 F2 is nice, albeit not the sharpest in the edges.

Bernie

• Like Like x 1
  5. capodave

capodave FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Mission Viejo CA
    Dave Kavlich
    I'm not a zoom guy, but I do like carrying one lens and the 18-55 is very nice IMHO.

6. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    I'm with Bernie, I still only have the 35mm F1.4; the 50mm full-frame FOV is really a great all-arounder, just like I learned in my film days. It's flexible enough for the type of photography you prefer.

7. Bernie Ess

Bernie Ess FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 11, 2013
    Honestly, if only one lens, I'd prefer a 35-70mm (equivalent), but constant f2,8. A 2x Zoom can be very versatile for 90% of all photo occasions. The 35 1,4 is very good, but a bit too short for close portraits, and often a bit too long for scenics. Unfortunately 2x Zooms are out of fashion since quite a while...

8. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    While I agree mid range zoom is very flexible,with the X-Pro I have really forced myself to stay with primes.

9. Veddhartha

Veddhartha New to FujiXspot

Feb 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not on the road map but I'm sure a 24-70 2.8 would be some where in the pipe lines, I don't think Fuji could ignore the "workhorse" focal

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Imho the 18-55 "kit lens" would be the lens I would recommend as it gives you the versatility you are after.