What brand of adapter to get?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by battleaxe, Jul 11, 2014.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe FujiXspot Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    On my m4/3 system I am using a Fotasy brand, but I'm wondering if there is something better out there in the market. It's been a while since I've looked adapters in the mirrorless world, so I am not sure. I don't want to get something overly expensive, but do want something reasonably accurate. Thank you.

BTW I will be using MD lenses.

Edit: I just noticed that on ebay I can get from ebay seller ADPLO an adapter with a thumb grip for 21 shipped. Is that a good product/deal?

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Seriously, "buy cheap, buy twice" - there are some shockers out there. I use Kipon and Novoflex happily. I have a "no name" for my Nikon lenses and it is rubbish, with significant play. I can't afford to buy twice, so in future I will stick to the brands mentioned.

Sent from another Galaxy

3. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    I've used more than a few cheap ($10 to $12) adapters from rainbowimaging. Never thought one impacted my photos negatively in any way. I've had one expensive adapter, that cost maybe $85. While you could tell it was built better it didn't seem to make a bit of difference to me.

So I'd give that combo a shot battleaxe. I've also used cheap and higher end thumb grips. Can't see much reason to spend the extra cash on those either.

4. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Damage to your camera? Incorrect flange to film plane distance? Swarf? Distortion? I bought a cheap Leica R to Nikon adaptor once and it was so poorly made that the lens rattled and drooped on the body. It was a battle to get my money back.

I'm not endorsing specific high-quality brands, just wondering why, if your images and your equipment matter to you, you would scrimp, and tolerate a weak link in your optical chain.

5. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    The adapter I bought for my m4/3 cameras has been very good for 4+ years now and I was for the longest time using it with a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 lens, which is a tad on heavy side, with no issues. I will check rainbow imaging and give them a try.

What is swarf?

6. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  7. mguffin

mguffin FujiXspot Regular

Apr 10, 2013
    New Jersey
    Mike
    I have about 10 Fotasy adapters from rainbowimaging on eBay, and no problems with any of them.

8. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Honestly, it's your money and your camera. I'm bowing out of this thread.

9. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    I've had good lucky with the fotasy and some reasonably large/heavy lenses on two different m4/3 so I may just try them again. Thank you.

10. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    Way to be open to what others have to say based on their experiences!

11. aslondon

aslondon FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 16, 2014
    Monticello, Florida
    Al London
    I've used fotodiox on a couple of different camera lense combinations. They have been excellent, snug on both ends, and nice machining. Their customer service is excellent also.

Al