What would you like on your X-2...?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Phoenix, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    I picked up from the "Please Introduce Yourself" thread some healthy discussion regarding what we would like changed, retained, improved. etc.... on the X-Pro 1, XE-1, X100(s), etc....

I thought I'd start a new thread to specifically discussing these.

As always, it's just a discussion on a hypothetical camera, so please PLAY NICE and respect each other, we're all part of a family here :grouphug:

I'll start with mine.

I own, shoot, and love my XP-1, apart from maybe a body that comes in sliver and black (to cater for people who like that look, I like mine plain black) I'm quite content with the current model. I can see some of the merits of maybe an added hybrid phase detect focusing?, minor tweaking with ergonomics? or maybe an improvment on the already amazing X-trans sensor (organic sensor?), personally though I find the focusing plenty fast for the way I shoot, and I really feel that I have not used the sensor to it's full potential, the reach of it's image making capabilities far exceeds my proverbial photographic grasp.

However, what I do want changed or updated is their handgrip accessory, it's fine as it is, however it could be improved if they made something with a cut away hole for easy access to the battery and SD card. Also their "squashed coke can" lens hood and it's annoying cap, I hope they release a vented lens hood specially for people who use the OVF almost exclusively (like me). I know these are all quite superficial and you can pick up a lens hood off eBay for $5 I guess it's the "principle" of it for me that counts.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    With the recent software upgrades, there is not much on my wishlist left. The ability to change AF-point with right hand was a big one. Focus peaking as well. The availability of the Q-menu is great! Manual focusing works very well. I like the layout and it is easy to turn the buttons without taking your eye of the VF. However, I do have some wishes left:
    1. an EVF that can be used in bright sunlight. This holds me back in purchasing a lens longer than 60mm.
    2. better visibility of focus areas.
    3. possibility to calibrate AF points like DSLRs offer. I've noticed too many focus issues even when using the LCD or EVF.
    4. not sure how to describe this properly in English, but I wish it wasn't so easy to accidentally turn the exposure comp dial and the focus switch.
    5. Side access for battery and SD-card would be better but perhaps only implementable with a smaller battery.
    6. center tripod screw-in (nice to have, not essential).
    7. multiple SD-cards (nice to have, not essential).

AF speed is pretty good, so need there. More MP and bigger sensor are nice-to-have for big size printing and cropping but not necessary.

3. flash

flash FujiXspot Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    1. Continued improvements in AF, especially in low light.
    2. Higher refresh rate for the EVF.
    3. Improved focus peaking. different colours.
    4. Move the tripod socket so i don't have to remove my QR plates.
    5. Improved battery life.
    6. Improved TTL flash implementation, HSS and easier FEC easily available at at least +- 3 stops.
    7. On/off switch that doesn't catch and switch on in my camera bag.
    8. Use of the click wheel to zoom image playback.
    9. Use the whole LCD when zooming in on vertical images.
    10. 1/2 shutter speeds on the shutter dial.
    11. SD card door separate from the battery.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  4. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

It won't happen but... I'm left eye dominant. EVF on the right side?
    And what Flash said.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RonSmith

RonSmith FujiXspot Veteran

Jul 23, 2013
    Michigan
    Ron Smith
    I am actually pretty happy with my X-E1. I also shoot with a Canon 5DII and a Panasonic GH3, and find that the X-E1 adds a new and different way of shooting that is very reminiscent of my Leicas that I used in my earlier years.

One thing that I would like to see improved, as Flash mentioned above, is a better ON-OFF switch. I find myself switching it both ON and OFF unintentionally.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    A short wish list based on what's available with their competitors and what they've implemented in the X-M1...

1) A what-you-see-is-what-you-get EVF as with the OM-D

2) Faster AF +/- PDAF support

3) Super intelligent flash... Having a built-in flash for outside fill light as well as tilt capability for bounce flash is all good but for indoor portraits in portrait mode (or when the ceiling is not white), the current one doesn't cut in. Would also be good for food macro enthusiasts. :)

4) Tiltable rear LCD for architecture, low-angle, and over-the-head shots

I'm happy with my X-E1 but I'm getting the X-M1 as a 2nd body for the latter 2 reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Some of these aren't an issue for me - for instance, I've never had my X-E1 turn on accidentally in my bag that I recall. And the firmware updates have definitely taken nearly all of the biggest wishlist items off my list already, which is awesome :)

Here's my top 3 list, at least 2 of which are supposedly coming in upcoming FW updates from what I've read:

1) Configurable minimum shutter speed
    2) Focus peaking in other colors
    3) Enable exposure compensation in Auto-ISO mode, a.k.a. 'misomatic'

Also agreed with all of these from Gordon's list:

The ones Gordon mentioned above are small gripes for me at this point. The battery life is livable if short, focus speed is "fast enough" with the latest FW, and I can live without removing my plate to change batteries for now.

However, the flash implementation is definitely lacking compared to m4/3 or Canon/Nikon gear. I'd like to see FEC be available from the Quick menu or someplace else that's actually reachable without menu diving, HSS, etc. A higher max sync speed would also be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

Eventually it'd be great to see more flash options & support, like TTL-compatible radio triggers & flash units with built-in radio control, that sort of stuff. But I'm not expecting to see those things appear for several generations yet as the X system is still young.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    -1/8000 max shutter speed
    -face detection
    -wifi shutter trigger
    -one or two additional user customizable buttons
    -improve AF speed/accuracy to be on part with the OMD/EM5

9. flash

flash FujiXspot Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    I forgot one. A histogram that doesn't dissapear when you half preff the shutter button (focus peaking does this too??).

I'm left eye dominant as well. But I've taught myself to use my right eye on cameras with a viefinder on the left. Takes a bit but can be done. Was worth the effort. So I use my left eye on my Olympus and right eye on my Fuji/Leica. That's as close as I'll ever get to ambidextrous.

Gordon

p.s. Can I add GPS support as well. Sick of using my phone to tag landscape shots.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I'm waiting to get into the X system. Will see what the X2 brings.

I'd like:
    • Flippy LCD (ala X-M1)
    • Better EVF refresh rate
    • A much snappier camera (like X-M1, which has no real shutter lag and faster write times)
    • Continued improvement on AF
    • Higher res LCD
    • Wifi

My bigger wish list for the system, though, is a 35/1.4 mk ii with better and quieter AF and a 27/2.0 instead of 2.8. I found those two lenses to be a bit disappointing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

I think your bi-optical!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. flash

flash FujiXspot Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    possibly also bi-polar. But that's a different forum....

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  13. bhupinder2002

bhupinder2002 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    So basically we all want Olympus EP5 with hybrid VF and Fuji x tran sensor :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It's interesting that nobody mentions the Lens Modulation Optimizer known from the X100S and X20.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Whassat...?

• Like Like x 1
  16. onreb

onreb FujiXspot Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Supposedly coming? This would be good news...
    Then, let's say the configurable minimum shutter speed should be really configurable, not up to 1/125 only (ask Ray...).
    Also, DR auto could be enabled in M mode too, when in auto iso.
    And a forced minimum iso could find its use too (in an auto iso min/max fashion)

• Like Like x 1
  17. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    http://fujifilm-x.com/development_story/en/processor/

"Lens Modulation Optimiser processing made possible by integrated development of lenses, sensors and processors. This is the secret to resolving diffraction

The technology newly developed as a solution was signal processing by the optimization filter which matched the characteristics of each lens. This is the Lens Modulation Optimiser technology which restores an out-of-focus image into its original state."

Very interesting stuff - I learn something new from Rico once again :D

Agreed. I don't care for the 1/125 min shutter speed limit. It's just tolerable on the X100S as 1/125 is my usual cutoff for avoiding blurry people shots, but it makes no sense to me why implement such a feature then arbitrarily cripple it.

The other two I'm not sure I would use, but I'm all for more flexibility in options.

18. mnhoj

mnhoj FujiXspot Regular

Aug 25, 2013
    1. Colored peaking - really all I want - hopefully I get it for the XE1 - then I won't need the S or 2 for a while.

These would be very welcome to me in future versions.
    1. Faster EVF refresh
    2. Minimum shutter speed program
    3. Continued AF improvements

19. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Triple check.

20. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    And it actually works and makes a visible difference, so all Fujinon lenses will become even better w/o spending an additional dime on better lenses. All you'll need are cameras (and RAW converters) that support the LMO data. I am amazed that the pixel peeping crowd is mostly ignoring this technology, even though it's already available in the X100S and X20.