Where to Buy The Mini USB Adapter to 3.5mm Stereo External MIC Adapter for the X100S

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by fujifreak, Jun 19, 2013.

1. fujifreak

fujifreak New to FujiXspot

Jun 18, 2013
    Where to Buy The Mini USB Adapter to 3.5mm Stereo External MIC Adapter for the X100S

I want to use an external mic on the X100S. I have lots of mics, I just need a cable. Has anyone successfully adapted a Non OEM Mic for the X100S, is so, please do tell. Thanks, FF

2. fujifreak

Jun 18, 2013
    Guess this does not exsist

3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Have you tried Amazon? Or your local Maplin (other gadget shops are available).

Sent from another Galaxy

4. fujifreak

Jun 18, 2013
    If I knew what to look for and it was proven to work I would buy it from anyone, lol.

5. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    My apologies. Since you used the definite article I understood that you knew what you wanted existed and were merely seeking a supplier.

Sent from another Galaxy

6. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    i think the only way to get it is along with the fuji mic.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

7. ap356

ap356 New to FujiXspot

Oct 29, 2013
    Good news! It is possible to make an adapter!

I bought a few blank 8-pin USB connectors from eBay, and a 3.5mm jack from Radioshack.

After some painstaking testing with the volt meter (the pins in the plug are tiny!) I figured out which pins to connect.

At least I thought I did. Ultimately it required two grounding pins to be wired together, but I now have a working adapter. Unfortunately my soldering skills are pretty bad, so I don't expect this adapter to last very long.

I will make another attempt at putting one together, or will find someone near by who is more skilled with an iron.

Once I have these things nailed down, I will let you know. How many of you would be interested in buying one?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ap356

ap356 New to FujiXspot

Oct 29, 2013
    Hello all,

For those of you who shoot video, you may have been wanting to use an external mic. For the X100s, Fuji sells the MIC-ST1 microphone with an adaptor that plugs into the camera's USB port. I believe the adapter is the same as used on the X100 and some of the other X cameras.

Since I already have a Sennheiser MKE 400, I really did not want to buy the Fuji mic just to get the adapter. The adapter is not sold on its own. I actually tried getting one from Fuji directly ("Hello, I lost the adapter for my MIC-ST1, can I get a replacement?"), but no dice.

I decided to try and make one. I managed to find an ebay listing for blank E6 connectors (the proprietary Fuji USB connector, also used by Nikon and other cameras), so I ordered those along with a couple of 3.5mm female jacks. I used four strands of an Ethernet cable for wiring.

The first step was to figure out which pins need to connect to the 3.5mm jack. The E6 plug has eight pins plus ground (the metal outer part of the plug). A standard USB connection uses four pins, so there four potential candidate pins for the left and right audio channels. To find them, I first used a volt meter to identify the four USB pins. Since the pins are so tiny I had to use a small strand of wire to be able to touch any of them individually. Then I soldered a wire onto each of the four unused pins, and identified the two L and R pins by trial and error. I just held the wires onto the 3.5mm plug of the MKE 400 while looking at the camera's mic level meter. I couldn't quite get it to work. Eventually I realized that two ground connections are needed, one to the outer casing and another to one of the pins.
    I had a lot of trouble actually soldering the connector. I melted the first one horribly, and the second one broke because I bent it too much during assembly. By the third try, I had managed to get four good connections onto the microscopic pins of the E6 connector. Soldering to the 3.5mm jack was easy, since its contacts are nice and big. Put on the casing and heat shrink tubing, and its done!

If any of you are adventurous enough to try and make your own, I will post up the pinout that I established. The part cost for this is under $10. I would also be happy to make one for you for a small fee since I still have a few E6 connectors left.

As far as I know, the microphone in the Fuji MIC-ST1 kit actually has a 2.5mm connector, and comes with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor, and a 3.5mm to E6 adaptor. This seems like a better solution to me, not only because you can use it with the microphone(s) that you already own, but also because it reduces the number of connections.

fujiadaptor01.

fujiadaptor02.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nonta14

nonta14 New to FujiXspot

Nov 24, 2013
    Greattt

Now we can use better mics than the one provided by Fujii

10. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't need one myself, but I just wanted to say good for you for not giving up on it, and putting together your own solution with some ingenuity. :2thumbs: