which one to buy right now ? x-pro1 or x-m1 ?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by GODBLESSME, Oct 10, 2013.

1. GODBLESSME

GODBLESSME New to FujiXspot

Oct 10, 2013
    Bandung, Indonesia
    hi fellow Fuji user, yesterday i just sold my ol trusty x100 to my friend for a good price, now i want to buy a new fuji, but a lil bit confused for what should i buy?
    here in Indonesia, they gave a promotion on fuji x-pro 1, idr 18.000.000,- or around USD 1500 $ for 2 lenses ( 35 1.4 + 18-55 2.8-4 )
    or
    fuji x-m1 + 18-55 = 708 USD

if money is no problem and i want to have a faster AF camera, which one should i choose? i need a user's opinion, i have tried x190,x109s,xe1,xpro1 but not xm1 yet.

2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    Personally, I'd get the X-PRO1 two lens kit. Sounds like a great deal. I have the X-E1 and X-M1 with the X-M1 as a backup/second body. The X-M1 is a great camera, but the X-PRO1 is a completely different animal.

If you don't need a viewfinder, a more rugged build, and want something smaller, then the X-M1 is great. But if I had the money, I'd get the X-PRO1.

However, nobody can tell you what you SHOULD get, only you know that. You'll be a winner in terms of image quality either way.

3. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

I would've kept the x100 and buy the XE-1 + kit. But that's not possible, so I agree with John.

4. GODBLESSME

Oct 10, 2013
    Bandung, Indonesia
    well that was one of the answer im looking for, coming from x100 i feel like im going to lose the beauty of ovf ^^
    and i think the fuji xpro 1 will be a better match for my zeiss 100 macro and voigtlander 40 .2.
    also is it a good deal ? 1500USD for 2 lenses?

money isnt a problem here, i make money from photography and i think a good fuji will be able to accompany my 5dIII.

5. GODBLESSME

Oct 10, 2013
    Bandung, Indonesia
    i wonder why are you all reccomending fuji x-e1 ? isnt it slower than xpro 1 or xm1?

6. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    To me it sounds like a very good deal. I routinely lose money on my photography and I'd still buy it, lol.

7. GODBLESSME

Oct 10, 2013
    Bandung, Indonesia
    i guess i will go to my local camstore to check if they have display camera.
    the only thing that can annoy me is when i buy the xpro1 and theres announcement of xpro 2 with fullframe body ...lol

putting that aside, does the xe1 and xpro1 af speed is the same? surely the xpro must be a tad faster right?

8. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

The XE-1 is equal to the Pro-1 except for OVF. But it's EVF is better and it's usually cheaper. But $1500 for that set up is a pretty good deal. An XE-1 and a kit lens can be gotten here for around $1000 new. A 35mm would be $500+ new. The 18-55 is outstanding BTW! My copy is close to equal to the 35 ( albeit slower) and equal to the 60mm ( but no macro and slower and 55mm).

9. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    While I don't own the X-Pro1, I can say that the AF on my X-E1 with firmware updates is just as fast as the X-M1 I just put up for sale. My understanding is that the X-Pro1 should AF no slower after FW updates.

The difference I've noticed is write speeds. The X-M1 processes images faster -- I don't get the same lag after I hit the shutter button as with the X-E1. The X-Pro1's OVF (hybrid) should obviate any EVF lag that you might encounter with the X-E1. The former's EVF has a lower resolution but no one seems to mind that fact and almost all are quite happy with the hybrid VF.

Other main differences: X-M1 has a flash with +/-2 flash EV comp which adds more control to how much flash you want to use. X-Pro1 has no flash. The X-Pro1 has all the nice controls (dedicated shutter dial, EV comp dials, etc). The X-M1 has 2 dials near each other on the upper right (on the top, and on the back); not ideal but does work. As far the other buttons, there are fewer and those are much smaller and reminiscent of smaller mirrorless options. Wifi which is good for transferring to a phone or tablet; PC/laptop transfer is pretty much useless.

10. GODBLESSME

Oct 10, 2013
    Bandung, Indonesia
    thank you u guys, u are all pretty nice people ! so much informations in just under 20mins.
    now im googling for all the xe1 and xpro1 comparative review LOL

i didnt even care about xe1 and xpro1 before, but since i sold my x100 ( i sold it for about 736$ last week ) i feel so lonely without a fuji in my camera bag T_T. then i saw the promotion ads on fujifilm indonesia facebook, it gave me an instant GAS since the last 3 days.

11. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    I've gone entirely Fuji now. I've shot Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony and Panasonic in my quest for the "right" camera and loved all of them in some way. It's funny because the Fuji's are all kind of flawed in things like not having touch screens, as fast AF as some systems and so forth -- but I like them more still. Quite some cameras. The "basics" -- the most important things for photography -- are all there and are all excellent.

12. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Assuming that you've already chosen for an interchangeable lens x-trans system, the choice basically boils down to:
    1. budget
    2. camera size and weight
    3. controls: buttons for shutter speed and aperture (xp1, xe1) vs. buttons for "shooting conditions" (xm1)
    4. handling: which one feels better in the hand.
    5. viewfinder technology: Hybrid - EVF - none. If you're mainly shooting in cities and "dimmed" light conditions, the xm1 or xe1 would be perfect. in bright sunlight it will be difficult bright to use LCD and EVF. For this reason, the xm1 would never work for me.

All the best in making your mind up.

I will be testing the x-m1 this saturday. So that's for me the opportunity to compare it with the XP1 (I compared XE! and XE1 earlier).

Peter

13. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    for the hybrid finder and the larger body, I'd choose the X-Pro1. To me it feels much better in hand. I also recommend the grip to makr it bigger, but camera size is a personal choice. If it says Fuji on the camera, you're buying the right one ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. GODBLESSME

Oct 10, 2013
    Bandung, Indonesia
    -ahh today is a good day, after going to my local camera store, i tried all four models, xpro1, xm1, xe1, x100s.

i decided to buy the xpro1 after all, because i got a good deal on it.

also when i tried xm1, i find it a lil bit too small for my hands and i really miss the hybrid viewfinder.

taking the viewfinder out of fuji camera means a lot to me, i always compose my photo in the ovf.

x-e1 feels good and not too bulky, but i find the af speed is snappier om the xpro1

xm1 has the best IQ ( i think ), and its fast too, maybe faster than the xpro1 ( was usingh 16-50 ois compared to 18-55 ois on the xpro )

x100s, its just an upgrade from my old trusty x100, i love my x100 seriously, but when i hold the xpro1 + my friend's voigtlander 40 1.4 & 35 1.2, i know i had to buy the xpro 1.

now im charging the battery and afternoon im gonna do a test shoot.

im very thankful for all your inputs and opinions here <3

thank you ver much all of u !

15. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Enjoy your new camera. The X-Pro1 is an amazing camera.

16. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Congratulations! Great choice.
    Looking forward to seeing your photos.
    Petet