Who says the Fuji X cameras can't take action shots?!

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Mikey, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Redeemed an Amazon Local (similar to Groupon) voucher for an NYC cruise except instead of a lunch cruise, we ended up on a belly dancing cruise. :p It was the 3rd Annual NYC Bellydance Boat Show. My wife and I grinned at the fact that a photo op just landed on our laps. ;)

There was good ambient light coming from the surrounding windows and after cranking up the ISO to 3200-4000, I was able to shoot at shutter speeds of 500-1000 with the kit zoom wide open. Yes, the AF wouldn't (or would be slow to) lock 25% of the time but guess what, when the AF locked, it rarely missed. One of my big concerns when I still used the OM-D was the AF missing its target; I always had to wait till I got home and loaded my images up to my computer to find out. I also do like how when reviewing continuous shots in the LCD (I have an X-E1), the camera lumps the burst shots together -- makes it easy to delete a series of bursts together while chimping. I think I shot around 12-15 frames of 2-3 (mostly 2) bursts each (approximately 35 shots) and ended up with 10 keepers (~15 good ones except some images were too similar-looking to really keep).

As always, C&Cs are welcome...

A couple of front acts...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shahrzad, the most junior of the 3 main acts...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Valerick Molinary, a Puerto Rican dancer who recently moved to Miami...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soraia Zaied from Cairo is apparently a beloved Egyptian superstar bellydancer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know that in horrible lighting conditions that the current generation of Fuji X ILCs will perform poorly (unlike the awesome OM-D) but my recent shooting experience makes me highly optimistic that this issue will be fixed when the X-P2 and X-E2 come out.

2. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Great shots. Great colors!

3. donlaw

donlaw FujiXspot Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Texas
    Nice photos, but something tells me video would serve better here.
    Thanks for sharing.

4. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks! :)

Hehe.. I completely agree except I'm a photo enthusiast, not a video enthusiast. :p Besides, I heard that the Fuji X video capabilities aren't up to snuff compared to the other mirrorless offerings there.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Can't = No
    More challenging = Yes

That being said, great series! :cool:

6. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks, kabayan! It's just that based on posts I've read online, I was prepared to go home without a single good shot. :p Now, I really want to get my hands on a 55-200. (Suffering from GAS)

7. Dacalac

Dacalac FujiXspot Veteran

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    It's definitely a lot more challenging! You really have to think about the space you're shooting in and plan ahead with what you want to get. I was assigned as a street shooter for a lantern festival and wanted to get the dragon dance. I was lucky enough to get a spot front and center. The first few shots I took were a bit out of focus but after I started thinking about where the action was going to be and setting my focus point accordingly I was able to get a few more usable shots.

8585371890_853678c835_z.
    2013 Lantern Festival by dacalac, on Flickr

8584271075_74680ac739_c.
    2013 Lantern Festival by dacalac, on Flickr

8. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I like this 1st one. :) May I know what lens and settings did you use? Thanks!

9. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    On second review, found a couple more shots. Hope you like 'em...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    I was using the 35mm and shot it at 1/140th @ f9 and 200ISO. Gave me a wide enough DOF that I was able to cover a large dance area. I think this was as low as I could go with the available light without camera shake being a huge issue. =)

I like how you captured the dancer's joy in the shots. You can tell she's really into it! It's also amusing to see some of the audience reactions. :p

11. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the info!! May I ask -- any reason why you didn't want to bump up the ISO any higher to get faster shutter speeds? Having been previously pampered by IBIS, I myself also struggle with avoiding camera shake with my 35/1.4.

12. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    That's what I call action.

Gary

PS- I'll feed you any time you want to shoot. (... and I have the 55-200 ...)
    =G=

13. Dacalac

May 1, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike
    Truthfully I may have forgotten in this case. I had it set to auto400 and forgot to switch out. :p

14. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    What's your experience with using auto ISO? I only tried it once and it didn't work for me (ended up underexposed) but then again I had a backlit subject (though I could've sworn I pressed the AEL button).

15. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    My humble contribution to "action" shots :)

9034243825_ca2d653ff7_b.

16. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
  17. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    ^^^ Awesome action shots, Taz and Hyubie!!! :bravo-009:

18. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    Haha, thanks! I love jumping photos!

19. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    I was just over at the Fuji X Forum and saw some (even) awesome(r) action shots -- motorsports and sumo wrestlers. Now, I really have no doubts that the X system is more than capable of delivering stunning action shots. :D

20. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Very tempting offer. Hehe.. Gary, where in SoCal are you? I have a brother who lives near LA and I may visit him sometime this year.