Why is everyone dumping their X100s?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by dduval, Oct 11, 2013.

1. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Just curious...for a camera that was "and is" in such demand, and Fuji could not keep up with demand...why are there so many used x100s for sale?

Just on Fred Miranda alone, I count 25 x100s for sale and/or sold in just the last 60 days, that's a lot, not counting the many other sites I see them for sale as well...

There's got to be something to this, it doesn't make sense to me. I just got the x100 and was actually thinking of getting the x100s as well (use both, what the heck)...and the prices are really starting to get attractive...$1100.00 to $1150 in excellent condition like new...some have plenty of extras as well...

Its really tempting, there are 5 of them for sale right now on FM alone, one with 600 clicks! at $1100.00...

But, now I'm starting to worry...not sure I want to get the x100s with so many folks dumping them so quickly...gotta be more to the story. Why buy a new one, use it for a week, then sell it at a loss? I can see if it was a few folks over a period of time, But we have a mass selling of used x100s's and plenty to choose from any day of the week on several sites, what other camera is so available on the used market? and don't say the X-E1 because there is already plenty of them for sale used as well. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Funny, until a few weeks the story was "why isn't the X100S available, anywhere?".

• Like Like x 3
  3. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Awesome! I'd love to buy one. Will wait until it hits $700!

My theory is that many X100S users are also XP/XE users. And they are counting on the soon to be available 23/1.4 to make the X100S superfluous.

4. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Maybe, but there are 30 X-E1's for sale/sold on FM right now, last 2 months...unless those folks are anticipating the rumored X-E2...

5. Armanius

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    That too!! I can barely wait until 10/18!! Finally face detection! And hopefully a faster AF!

6. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Exactly, people are getting the 23mm lens. There should be plenty of X-M1 for sale, too, because many people were/are buying the whole kit to only keep the lens.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    If they like the small size and the function of the OVF, the 23 f1.4 doesn't come close to making the X100s superfluous. It's a stop better for low light and bokeh and, if early reports are right, looks like a stunner optically. But the X100s has the PDAF for split image focus and faster AF, built in ND filter, MUCH smaller form factor, and an OVF that is optimized for that focal length. So, different strengths and tradeoffs.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  8. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013

You're right, maybe I should hold off until 10/18! But man, $879 for X-E1 Kit at authorized dealer ********** is mighty tempting too!

Folks are trying to sell them used for more than that!

9. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    I think there is an ebb and flow with lots of models on the used market. I wouldn't read too much in to any single point in time. But, if you are wanting to buy lots of supply is a good thing. Post a WTB thread and throw out an aggressively low price. You may get lucky with someone who needs the cash to fund the next new purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The 23mm lens being delayed is mostly why I bought an X100S originally, but as Ray said there are numerous other benefits to the X100S over the 23mm on an X-E1 or X-Pro1 too. Personally I won't be trading in my X100S because I love the built in ND filter, OVF, and the lighting flexibility offered by the leaf shutter's high sync speeds. However, I can see a number of other people selling theirs in anticipation of the new lens.

So you've got a few things I can see going on:

1) The X100S honeymoon period is ending - people get really excited about every new camera, then after a while a rash of them always show up for sale used.

2) The 23mm lens means at least some subset of people would rather add a lens to an existing ILC system and drop a second camera w/a fixed lens.

3) The X-E1S or X-E2 or whatever it is coming in the next couple months, plus a rumored X-Pro2 coming sometime in the next several months means now is a good time to sell while prices are still high, if you plan to jump to the next new camera body.

11. Armanius

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Given that the 18-55 by itself is $700 (new), you'd be basically getting the XE1 body for $179. Not too shabby!

12. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
  13. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    I absolutely adore the X100S for what it is. I was shooting in the steel mill where I work and loving, loving the camera and when I saw the images I loved it more, lol. What a machine.

14. donlaw

donlaw FujiXspot Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Texas
    I dumped my X100s because I didn't really think the new features where that great for what I do. Bought a used X100. This is the first time I have ever bought a camera, sold it to get the upgrade and then ended up buying the original again.
    Is this a symptom that I should on the watch for?
    Ans John, I saw your steel mill images with the X100s, they are astounding!

15. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks much!

I think there really is such a difference in the look of these two cameras, it really comes down to what you do and what you need it to look like. I loved the X100 as well but wanted the extra resolution and punch of the X100S for my material. If one's style and material is different, the X100 could in fact be the "better" camera and you're not the only one who feels like that.

I got my camera from Luke as a trade for my X100 and other goods/cash. He was happy and I was too so it's pretty clear we all have different needs.

16. Peter Chin

Peter Chin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    To OP not telling you how to spend your money but honestly i wouldn't pay $1100 for a used X100s when for a few dollars more it's brand new...i'd wait as someone else mentioned at $700.
    Why the "dumping"?, it's those who are truly GAS'd ...or just someone who followed the "hype" and found out it wasn't for them or just someone who doesn't know what it can really do or perhaps they just can't shoot one lense...but just wait for a better price or one of the newer models....that's what i would do.

17. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Peter, I agree 100% and thanks for advice. Besides, loving the x100 right now anyway...

Must...control...G...A...S...must...control...:crying:

18. gidal

gidal FujiXspot Rookie

Oct 11, 2013
    USA
    Hi everyone, my 1st post here.

Here's another way to look at it, all those X100S on FM will go to their new respective owners.
    In fact, one of them went my way :)

$300 less than buying new, I'm quite happy.

I'm going to try and see if this DSLR killer can really put an end to my collectoritis. Coming from 5DM2 and half a dozen L lenses. :D

19. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    X100 (and the "S" variant) are for shooters. You buy one and you're done (OK... you can buy a back-up, too;) . Now go get shooting!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think a lot of us churn through a lot of cameras, so several months after a camera becomes available, a certain percentage of them are going to go up for sale used. Seeing a lot of people "dumping" a camera may be a sign that a LOT of people bought it in the first place rather than a sign that it is disappointing folks. Same thing happened with the Olympus E-M5.

The other thing about the X100/X100S is that there are more people who like the idea of sticking with one focal length than there are who actually like sticking with one focal length, so a certain percentage of folks who buy one to be their one and only camera will give up on that notion after a few months.

In my case, I just occasionally feel guilty about having too many cameras, plus I needed the money different expenses. I realized that most of my photography happening at 35mm equivalent was coming from my M9 and E-PM2, so the X100S became a luxury I couldn't justify.

• Like Like x 1