Windows, a big pink bunny, and a tunnel...

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by entropic remnants, Aug 15, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    I like The Eternal timeout image, I feel that there's something about it that's disturbing and potentially sad .

3. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I saw the eternal timeout one on FB/Flickr... haunting and kinda sad to be sure.

On another semi-related note: I think these places are fascinating, it's just a shame people inevitably trash them (looking at the bottle in the top left of the Windows shot). What's fascinating to me is the slow decay and "bottled history" effect. It seems in many abandoned places like everything just suddenly stopped one day while the world moved on around it. Sorta ruins that that for me when the trash and vandalism pile up. I certainly understand why so many urbex folks prefer to keep locations to themselves!

4. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Again, John your urbex images have hit the mark,
    Your stuff is art, if art can be subtle, sublime and stark.
    My heart goes out for the poor bunny,
    The eternal timeout forecast isn't sunny.
    So this I charge you, a dare if you might,
    Please rescue the rabbit from it's damned plight.

=G=

5. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Yes great urbex.

6. neiltluck

neiltluck FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    Alfreton, Derbyshire
    Neil
    Really atmospheric shots John

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I'm with everyone else, John - wonderful images... but you must save The Bunny!

8. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks all!!!

I blush with pride, my face aglow
    At the gracious praise
    From our resident Pro!

I don't want to get involved... I got my own problems...

Yes, I agree. What was likely a humorous impulse ends up creating an image that has more power than I think whoever arranged this intended. It may be why I've sold as many as I have (and that's like 10 of them -- not mass market, lol). A guy at work came into my office where I had a 16x20 of the original one I did on the wall, saw it, and bought the framed image right off my office wall, lol. People either really are drawn to this scene, or they have difficulty looking at it. My wife is in the latter category and though she is my biggest fan it's not because of the bunny!

Jay, very true. In fact, in the "Windows..." image I deliberately framed the bright red bottle caps that contrast so sharply with the rest of the image's pastel dreariness. It kind of makes the point about people in there among the history and atmosphere that they likely have no appreciation for.

A homeless guy "lives" in the place and I scare him out sometimes when I come to visit. He was across the street on a bench watching me when I came out. We do a very good job avoiding one another. That may or may not be from some stuff he hustled. The kids drink in a spot in the basement and there is like a 1/4 acre of empties down there. It's interesting how certain groups favor certain parts of the building, and are disinclined to hang out in other parts of it. It is very large though with quite a maze of stairs that don't cover all levels and odd corridor layouts. Second nature to me now but I was really confused when I first explored it.

Again, thanks everyone.

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    John - many thanks for the backstory, your sense of humor, your thoughtfulness and your clear eye.

I think we need to start a Save The Bunny initiative.:grouphug:

10. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    One more from this trip. This large safe is surrounded by thick, very hard stone blocks and a double locked mechanism. Nobody has opened it in over 40 years.

These safes were necessary in the days of "pay packets" before paychecks when folks were given cash packets at the end of the week. Also, nearly impregnable fortresses like this one were good for keeping trade secrets in. Back in the day, security was strictly a physical matter.

NOT HDR. A single shot on the X100 with the OOC JPG processed to look like this.

9552286102_c09f86a9f6_b.
    It is Quite Safe by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

11. Isoterica

Isoterica FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    I want a door like that!

12. Gary

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I suspect that a door such as that,
    A person like you would actually need, for their doormat.

13. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Ah the vagaries of poetry... what I think Gary just said is that the image is only fit to be walked on. I'll have to mull that over, lol... :hmmm:

14. Isoterica

Isoterica FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    It's probably sturdier than it looks. We have our share of antiques, none so rough as that, but it would be novel

15. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    It has signs that folks have tried to open it. I can not convey how SOLID this thing is.

16. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
  17. Gary

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    The processing, gritty and without rhyme or brightly colored,
    Gives meaning beyond our open thought or the word muttered.