Would like to order Lance Camera straps for my X-E1 and my upcoming X100S - which?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Ramirez, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez FujiXspot Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Hello friends!

I would like some better neck straps for my beloved Fuji X cameras. 2 in fact (for X-E1 and X100S).

I don't have any experience with different third party straps, so which ones would you suggest? I would like to have straps that suits the look of the Fuji X cameras and that are practical in use in the same time. I don't like the original Fuji straps that comes with the cameras.

I looked at this site: http://lancecamerastraps.com/

Is there other brands that could be great with the Fuji cams as well?

I hope that I put this thread in the right forum.

2. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    I have a 48" Lance black/black on the way from a previous owner, can't wait to try it out. I'm still hunting for the right strap, here are some I have tried and/or looked at:

Op/Tech compact sling - if you like the sling style, this is lightweight and very comfortable, I have used it with the X100 happily. Inexpensive. They make a more robust sling too, also very economical.

Leica - highly recommended by many as the best basic neck/shoulder strap. I have one and it didn't work as well for me as the Op/Tech sling above, but more seasoned pros disagree.

Gordy makes beautiful, very basic wrist and neck straps. I love the wrist strap but have not gotten a neck strap from him.

Artisan & Artist cloth strap - never tried it, well reviewed by many.

DSPTCH has a nice style and seems very sturdy, similar look to the A&A above.

Barton are highly praised (esp. the braided model) for quality, comfort and appearance.

Kaza straps have a nice elegant look, I have not seen them in person.

Those are some top choices, you can spend more on straps and soft releases and thumbrests than on lenses - don't even get STARTED on the price of bags...

• Like Like x 3
  3. capodave

capodave FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Mission Viejo CA
    Dave Kavlich
    I have an A&A Strap which is very nice, but I prefer Gordy's Wrist Straps.

4. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I have a DSTCH on a gripped OM-D and it is very functional. It comes long so you can sling it, (how I'm using it). When shooting with two cameras I like to sling one and have the other around my neck. This morning I switched from a neck strap to a Rapid strap on the X-Pro. It is comfy, hangs nicely and still easy to grab and shoot.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    Thank you very much for your very detailed answer!
    Now I have some options to look at :)

6. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I think the Gordy straps are fantastic - I own three: two wrist and one neck. They are perfect for smaller cameras like the Fujis and m43.

7. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Not a big Gordy fan. The square shaped leather is too rough for my taste and takes a while to get softer. Wish he had straps with rounded edges. Great service though.

Tried a Joby strap recently and didn't like it either. Nice concept, but poor execution. Camera will not stay at the behind the back position, because the strap slides off easily.

Best strap so far for me is the Black Rapid. Although not a good looking strap and kinda big looking. More of a strap for DSLR's.

I may try these Lance straps. I like the string attachments instead of rings.

8. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    I have a BlackRapid that I use with the Canon 7D gripped, it's a very strong and durable rig, and IMHO it is too much hardware for the small cameras. I believe BR makes a smaller version of their signature sling strap which would be less "heavy duty" looking. That's why I tried the Op/Tech sling - it's barely more than the Fuji neck strap, but it has the great neoprene shoulder section so there is just zero shock and weight from carrying. The slide mechanics aren't as silky smooth as the BlackRapid, but the whole assembly is just very small and discreet, probably the least conspicuous you can get with a cross-body carry setup.

The Lance straps (and the A&A silk cord strap) are designed to be smooth enough to slide around over your clothing for sling-style carrying without incorporating a sling slider. Both of these neck straps also "convert" on the fly into great wrist straps (as any soft and lightweight strap can) using the loop-over technique.

9. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    Update!

I just ordered: http://lancecamerastraps.com/non-adjust-neck-strap/
    Black with orange rings (48 inches) with the O-Ring Strap Bumpers (for scratch protection) * 2!

One set for my X-E1 and one set for my coming X100S. Same color scheme for both.

I just got fed up with the original straps as my cameras lives on my body... I hope that these Lance straps will be comfortable. They sure look nice on the pics though!

Didn't need the string loop variant as I seldom use wrist straps. I always wear my X cameras as ties People that know me has started to call me "the Camera-Tie man" :)

10. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I have a Street Strap, which is a poor man's AA silk strap. Too short for me though.

11. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Can anyone with a lance strap comment on how soft the polyester cord is? I would assume its not as pliable as the silk cord.

12. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    I have that one - it's called the BlackRapid SnapR 35.

13. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    I use an original leica strap from my departed "M" on my X100 and it is great with a good grip as well as flexible enough for both neck and wrist use.

14. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    I got mail today - my two Lance camera straps are shipped :)

Estimated delivery time 1-2 weeks

Let's see which one comes first; my X100S or the Lance camera straps...
    What do you guess?

15. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    The straps. ;)

16. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm afraid so :(

17. kforde

kforde New to FujiXspot

Feb 18, 2013
    I just picked up one of these for my xpro1, really like it. Soft material, very sturdy and nice craftsmanship. Highly recommend.

18. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    The forth small pic to the right; the way the hands are holding the camera and the straps go around the hands.. It looks really comfortable! I suspect it will be the same with the Lance camera straps as they also are round cords. I am gonna love this way of handling my X cameras!

19. Ramirez

Feb 25, 2013
    My 2 Lance camera straps arrived today :)

I put on one of them on my X-E1. They feel superb hanging on my neck! And I can use them from the side hanging from one shoulder too. And one thing that is really sweet is the fact that I can easily twist the straps around my arm and sort of make them to a wrist strap for secure and comfortable one hand shooting...

When I have my X100s I can twist both camera stapes (on on X-E1 and the other on X100s) as a double revolver cowboy shooting style :)

I regret not ordering these earlier! Much better than any original strap!

These are the best that I ever tried.

20. ggweci

ggweci FujiXspot Rookie

Good to hear Ramirez.

Does the material seem to feel like it's good quality and will hold up over time?
    How do you find the length you got?
    Do you mind posting pics of the setup?

I have an X100S on pre-order and I'm looking for a nice strap to complement it. Considering the Lance, DSPTCH, A&A cloth, and Cam-In straps.