X-E1 - Adobe DNG Converter and LR3/PS5

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ean10775, Feb 20, 2013.

1. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I'm planning on picking up and XE-1 and despite the wonderful JPEGs the Fuji cameras produce I'd like to at least have the option of processing the RAW files in Lightroom. I have LR3 and PS5 and while I know that Camera Raw v7.2 (the version that adds support for the XE-1) only works with LR4/PS6, can anyone tell me if I use the free Adobe DNG Converter v7.2 to convert the RAF files to DNG, will I then be able to open and use those resulting DNG files in LR3/PS5? or would I still need LR4/PS6? As you can tell, I'm not very familiar with the DNG format and the Adobe site doesn't seem to be terribly helpful in this regard.

2. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Nevermind. I was able to find an answer to my question. That answer is yes, DNG files created from the XE-1 will work in LR3/PS5. Its just more kludgy than using Camera Raw

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Hmm, I'm not familiar with Adobe DNG Converter v7.2, which isn't necessarily surprising. Can you tell inquiring minds more and please be sure to let us know how it works, as well!

4. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Basically whereas Camera Raw v7.2 is directly integrated into LR4/PS6 and allows direct editing of the X-E1's RAF files from within the LR/PS application, it isn't compatible with older version of LR and PS. Adobe makes their DNG Converter software available for free to allow users to convert RAF files (and other RAW file formats) into DNG files which can then be read by previous versions of LR and PS. As I understand it, it adds an extra step in the workflow for LR users as files first need to be download from the camera to the computer and converted to DNG before they can be recognized by and subsequently imported into LR for editing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I understand that there are still issues with Adobe ACR and LR software's ability to adequately convert Fuji RAW images; this may affect the DNG converter as well. I wonder if you'd be better off making the initial conversion with the software supplied with the camera, saving it as TIFF, then running it through LR. Not much different in effort vs. using the DNG converter, except that you can do the latter as a batch and I don't know whether that capability exists with the camera-supplied converter.

Perhaps some folks with experience using the DNG converter with X-Pro1 or X-E1 files will weigh in.

• Like Like x 2