X-E1 Focus speed

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Hyubie, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    I wanted to get an idea of the focus speed of the X-E1. (And I am not sure if this has already been answered somewhere.) I realize that this is really lens-specific, but was thinking of the general feel. Is it similar to the X10 speed? An E-PL2 and a Panasonic 20mm?

FYI - I've only experienced E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PL3, G3, X10. FWIW, I didn't find any one of them particularly frustrating (even the E-PL1). :) Slow, but not terribly frustrating.

• Like Like x 1
  2. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Hi Hyubie, I can speak to the X-E1 with the 18-55. Fast and assured focus. I have the E-PL1, definitely faster than that with a Panny 20mm. Not quite as fast as the EM-5 with the Oly primes, but plenty fast.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    IMO, XE1 + 18-55 @18mm in good light is about the same as X10, maybe a tad better. @55mm, AF speed and accuracy goes down. XE1 is definitely not in the same league as OMD or even an EPL3 with an Oly 45/1.8. No testing done. Just my observations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Hi Armanius just to be sure, the upgrade to X-E1 firmware 1.04 seemed to make a big difference for me with the 18-55mm. Have you tried it with that upgrade?

I'll have to shoot some more low-light, but even at the long end the 18-55mm isn't horrible in low-light. It certainly isn't the OM-D, but with a bit of "grab focus with something contrasty, then reframe," I had absolutely no problems. And that was when it was dark out, cold (gloves), coat hood was up, glasses fogged over, brain slow ... Oh, wait that last part is just age. ;)

Now the scenes I shoot are stills, so that is easier for any camera certainly.

For my style of shooting of what I like to shoot, the X-E1 with the 18-55mm is compelling. For me auto-focus not being a problem even in low-light, the feel of the Fuji jpegs (the O-MD is nothing to sneeze at here, granted) makes me want to get out and shoot more stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Hi Carl. I no longer have the XE1. I think the new firmware came out a day or two before or after I packed it and shipped it off -- if my memory serves me correctly. My only issue with the 18-55 was at full zoom. At 18mm, it was pretty good. But a drop-off in AF performance at full zoom is pretty normal for most zoom lenses.

6. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I thought the issue was in the low light focus, not really focus speed (at least since the FW update)

7. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    That's good news if true!

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just updated both body and lens firmware, and there is a noticeable increase in AF speed, which I didn't think was bad before the improvement. Now quite snappy!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Awesome! I'm just digging myself a deeper hole with these questions. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. krysdafur

krysdafur FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    The AF speed with the 18+35 primes is not too bad. It's about the same speed as OMD and P20. The problem with AF was mainly close focusing, 3ft or less. The problem gets worse with less light. The newest firmware seems to have improved close focusing quite a bit. Between 2.5 - 3 ft is not really problematic anymore.

11. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    What about locking on in low light? Still an issue?

I really need to rent one of these to give it a whirl.

12. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    Bill, don't do it, I'm telling you. :)

• Like Like x 2