X-E1 review @ Admiring Light

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by Jman13, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
  2. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    I am surprised to see that you prefer the X-E1 shutter sound.

I thought and still think the OM-D has such a smooth buttery sound that feels so assuring.

3. Pim

Pim FujiXspot Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Pim
    Thanks for posting, looks like you put a lot of effort into this! I am at work right now but will definitely read the full review tonight. As an X-E1 owner myself it will be very interesting to read other people's experiences.

4. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    Thanks for the post!

5. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I too really liked the X-E1's shutter sound when I had it. Its really too bad I couldn't get on with the EVF. Otherwise I really enjoyed using the camera.

6. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Nice review Jordan.

7. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I've been weighing the decision of selling or keeping the X-E1 the past couple days so this is well timed... helps to hear other people's take and reaffirm my own thoughts.

I pretty much agree with everything you said in your review - there are some really fun things about the X-E1 and some frustrating bits. And yes it does have a neat shutter sound :tongue:

8. Livnius

Livnius FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Another excellent write up Jordan...I always look forward to your gear reviews as I've found them to be VERY reliable and accurate.

I recently purchased an X100S and although I have only had very limited shooting time with it I have to agree with your assessment re DR and in particular pushing shadows. When I had the GX1 I thought it performed really well retaining good detail in both shadow and highlight areas when pushed/pulled during post processing...then I got the EM5 and wow, nice all round improvement, really quite significant in some cases. Then I got the X100S and it appears to be another significant step up from even the already excellent EM5, in particular in pushing underexposed/shadow areas. I found it quite surprising, pushing shadow areas I was expecting to see the image fall apart at a certain point but it just kept holding together way way beyond that point, i was stunned how good it was....and that's after a full year with the EM5.

Do you think the new Fuji X cameras do so well in this regard simply due to the size of the sensor (relative to m43 sensors) or do you think it may be down to the unique pattern of the sensor ?

Many thanks.

9. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    After using an X100S for the last little bit I really feel like the X-E1 doesn't even come closed to the refinement of the X100S. Weird!

Now the X100S has a MUCH better shutter sound ;)

10. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Joe - interesting you and Jordan are mentioning shadow recovery headroom, I was distinctly impressed with the other side of the coin, highlight recovery (see my thread on it here: https://www.fujixspot.com/f28/extreme-highlight-recovery-why-shoot-raw-979/)

I'm not Jordan obviously but as far as the performance, my take is that I think it's a function of the generation of sensor + sensor size. The latest Sony sensors in my Nikon D800 and Sony RX1 have a ton of dynamic range, and the larger sensor I think helps preserve more detail and resolution with less noise which further increases post-processing headroom.

Or lack thereof ;)

I do actually find that rather convenient at times. I've done candid shots with all manner of cameras including the D800 with it's monstrous mirror slap shutter smack, and I will admit the leaf shutter cameras are pretty nice at not interrupting the flow.

Oh, and I agree about the refinement factor. They're similar cameras but after shooting both side by side the X-E1 just feels like it's missing something in the build, details, and features.

11. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The reason we don't mention highlight recovery is because we're coming from the E-M5, which has ridiculous amounts of highlight headroom. I can easily pull two full stops in the highlights in RAW, sometimes more. The X-E1 is decent, but not quite that good in this regard...but it has a lot more shadow recovery ability.

12. gpolazzo

gpolazzo New to FujiXspot

Apr 16, 2013
    Live performer - jazz session

so...for the review, what do you think of this pics take with the x-e1 (resolution, ecc...)? im a photographer that shoot only in ambient light...i HATE flash! ;)
    DSCF0826.

DSCF0831.

13. Bliss300

Bliss300 FujiXspot Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Wow! Nice

Regards,
    Mister Bliss