X-E1 to X-T10, Raw & Photoshop .. a few Qs for Rico

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by aidanodr, Aug 30, 2015.

1. aidanodr

aidanodr FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    Hi Rico,

Cover to Cover I read your book about the X-E1 / X-Pro1. Excellent .. really liked and lapped up all the advice.

I currently have an X-E1, love the fujifilm X Series cams, always have.

I have set the X-E1 to shoot Jpeg + Raw as per your advice. I have a few quick Qs about the RAW side of things and the X-E1 v X-T10:

1. In your opinion is Silkypix on par, worse, better than Photoshop Raw, Lightroom ( I subscribe to Creative Cloud Photo plan each month )?? I notice all allow one to change cam profile to Provia, Velvia etc ..

2. When saving / developing images from RAW to JPG etc - is sRGB still best? I think you said so in the book above. Any benefit in saving ( developing ) with Adobe RGB in Silkypix OR any of the other Colorspace profiles offered by Photoshop RAW ( under the image when opened )? For example I have seen some people using ProPhoto RGB? Also 16 bits per channel as opposed to 8 bits. Any advantage in any of these colorspace settings if one is just final post editing / tweaking a jpg/png and may print the images as snaps OR semi-pro work?

3. Do you still have / use the X-E1? Have you switched to the X-T1 and / or the X-T1? A quick bit of advice appreciated - is it worth upgrading from X-E1 to X-T10 ( cheaper than X-T1? )?? Will a body only upgrade do? I have 3 lens for the X-E1 - Stock, XC50-230mm, Samyang UMC 8mm Fisheye - will these fit an X-T10?

4. Is the upgrade to the X-T10 worth doing so particularly for the AF Speed, Shutter Lag etc of the X-E1? Is it really noticeable? I have seen many saying it is. If you did upgrade to the X-T1 / T10 - why did you do so .. just interested in your thoughts here.

So thats enough for now :D .. sorry for the flood of Qs here but really around 2 subjects - cam upgrade & RAW.

Cheers and thanks in advance
    Aidan - Cork, Ireland

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    1. Lightroom is much better, faster, easier to use.

2. sRGB is the way to go in most cases. Rule of thumb: If you have to ask using Adobe RGB – don't use it. Lightroom (and others) use a large color space for editing, anyway. But most monitors can only display sRGB. My MBP, my cinemascope display and my beamer are all sRGB, so are my iPad, iPhones etc.

3. I have all X camera models and XC/XF lenses, so my choice is pretty huge by now. First world problems, I guess. Currently, I am using X-T1 and X-T10 cameras.

4. There is a big difference between first and third generation X system cameras. That doesn't mean that the X-E1 isn't capable of doing what you ask. The X-T10 is just more capable.

3. aidanodr

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    Thanks Rico.

If you dont mind me asking ..How would you compare the X-E1 to the X-T10 on basis of AF performance? Outside of that is an upgrade worth it in your opinion .. having used both? Based on your comment "The X-T10 is just more capable" .. Not expecting a huge comparison, just a few quick words from you, as an expert user of both.

And of course their is also the X-E2 .. :D

Appreciate all other info above ..

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Like a Fiat and a Porsche.

Depends on what you need/want and if you can/want to afford the upgrade?

I wouldn't get an X-E2 before the next firmware upgrade is real. Seeing is believing.

5. aidanodr

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    Thanks Rico ..

Heard that about the X-E2 .. possibly vapourware :D

6. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I've used the X-E1 several times, and I own an X-T1. The AF difference is pretty big. The overall performance (not just AF), really, is pretty big. The XE1 would make a nice second body / backup -- it's worth hanging onto for sure -- but I suspect 3 minutes with an X-T10 would ruin the XE1 as an everyday camera for you.

7. aidanodr

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    Thanks KillRamsey .. thats the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I suspected so in fact.

As i have you - what is the X-T10 like for low light shots??

8. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    That very much depends on the brightness of the lens that's used.

9. aidanodr

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    Hi Guys,

Was just talking to my cam shop expert friend .. and he is, genuinely. He himself has an X-E1 ( reason i bought one ) and is also now upgrading to X-T10. Loves the X-T10 in comparison .. all round substantial improvements on the X-E1. And according to some of his camera groups customers the low light ability of the X-T10 is vastly improved .. as in way way less work than the X-E1.

Oh .. he also said NO X-E2s are selling in last 3 months. Its all body upgrades from the X-E1 to X-T10 or X-T1.

And here is another thing - If anyone is upgrading their X-E1 to the X-T10 .. ONLY do a body trade up. Apparently all the X-E1 lens will work with the X-T10. The stock lens with the X-E1 is far higher quality than the stock lens with the X-T10 out of the box. So BODY SWAP ONLY.

Hope all that info is useful and factual?? If not please correct ..

10. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    So a few things...

1. All Fuji X-mount lenses are interchangeable. All XF (nicer) and XC (cheaper) lenses will work on ANY of the Fuji X-Mount camera bodies. You're really buying the glass, and renting the bodies -- as bodies improve in the coming years, the lenses stay with you as you trade up.

2. Fuji has bundled several lenses with the cameras, but the vast majority of XE-1s and X-T10s have shipped with the XF18-55 lens. Sometimes it's the XF 18-135 lens. Neither is really "better" than the other, they're just different. And both are fantastic lenses, as far as quality of images goes. It's not a simple comparison, it requires understanding focal lengths and available apertures at those focal lengths.

3. The XF 18-55 has never been updated physically, just with software updates that you can install yourself easily. Thus, the 18-55 that shipped with your XE-1 is basically identical to the 18-55 in a box with a new X-T10. Same same.

11. aidanodr

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    Thats interesting KillRamsey ... The only reason my friend mentioned the body switch ONLY was he noticed a "lesser" stock lens with the X-T10 vs the stock lens that came with the X-E1 ..

I wonder is their a jurisdiction think with what you get? I am in Ireland ..

I will ask him again what lens comes with the X-T10s they get .. as I said above, open to correction .. am only giving the info as I hear it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    And about point #2 up there, the 18-55 versus the 18-135:

The 18-55 is...

- smaller and lighter.
    - "faster" in that it has larger available maximum apertures at any given focal length. It's got f2.8 available wide open at 18mm, and f4 available racked all the way out to 55mm. The 18-135 has only f3.5 available at the same 18mm widest focal length, and extended all the way out its maximum of 135mm it has 5.6 available.
    - optically pretty damned good, believe it or not. MUCH better than any standard "kit zoom" from Canon or Nikon. It walks away from thousand dollar zooms from other manufacturers.
    - Optically stabilized to 2 or 3 stops, meaning it will "steady" the camera shake from your hands and let you shoot slower shutter times down 2 or 3 stops slower, and still eliminate the camera shake (but not, of course, the movement of your subject). That's not bad, though the newer zooms from Fuji are more like 4-5 stops OIS.

The 18-135 lens is...
    - Bigger and heavier.
    - Able to go out much longer in the tele range, which is sometimes a wonderful thing. This is perhaps THE vacation lens from Fuji, if you were to take only one, and weren't going to shoot in dim light much.
    - Able to get rid of 4-5 stops' worth of hand shake, as mentioned above, since the OIS in this lens is a newer design than the 18-55. Won't help you stop subject movement -- for that, the 18-55 is better simply because the bigger apertures mean faster shutter times @ the same exposure.

So there are tradeoffs. One isn't "better" than the other. Both are the same overall optical quality and build quality, which is to say "disgustingly good."

13. aidanodr

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    OK, sorry for using words like better and the like .. not appropriate. I will revisit this with my cam shop guy and be more precise here :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
  15. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    If he meant that the 18-135 is better because it has a bigger zoom range, cool, he may be right -- for you, that might be the biggest factor you like. If he meant the 18-55 is better because it's a stop faster at all focal lengths they share, then cool - that may be more important for you because sometimes you shoot in dim light.

The *only* time I can think of saying a Fuji bundled lens is "worse" than others is with the XM1 and XA1, which ship with the cheaper XC line of lenses. Those are optically pretty good, actually (I have the long zoom, the XC 50-230, and it's surprisingly good for something so darned cheap), but they're smaller apertures and plastic bodies / mounts. But those never shipped with either X-T10s or XE-1s.

16. aidanodr

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    Thanks again KillRamsey .. will clarify.

Now to get the cash together for the trade up :D

Will cost me about €450 or $500 to do a body swap from X-E1 to X-T10

The typical full prices in good old Ireland ( alot of times can be rip-off :D ) for the X-T10 are:

Body only €699.99 / $784
    Body & 16-50mm €799.99 / $897
    Body & 18-55mm 2.8 €1099.99 / $1233

So I am getting about €250 / $280 for my X-E1 body

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  17. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Ooooooh... Now I see. You've got an option to get one bundled with the XC 16-50 lens. I'd skip that lens.

18. aidanodr

Aug 30, 2015
    aidan o driscoll
    Yip,

I will only be doing a BODY TRADE-UP .. X-E1 body for X-T10 body .. keep my lenses. Getting about €250 / $280 for my X-E1 body .. add €450 / $500 for a new X-T10 Body

That was what I was saying in a previous post .. anyone considering upgrading from X-E1 to X-T10 might consider hanging onto their lenses inc the orig stock 18-55mm lens that came with the X-E1 in the box.

How do the prices compare to same in your neck of the woods .. just curious value wise ..

19. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    The current 18-55 kit zooms are made in China, the older ones were made in Japan. Not sure if that means anything, probably not. I have plenty of 18-55 here, built between 2012 and 2014, and my dad got a 2015 China version with his X-T10.

As for the 16-50, well, it's quite affordable, small and not heavy at all. I like it, but it's a bit plasticky, no aperture ring, no LMO, no manual OIS switch.

I like the XF27mm in the X-T10. It's der perfect lens for an almost perfect little camera.

Normally, everybody is buying kits, then selling the kit lenses they don't need at a small profit.

20. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    ^ That's how I got a brand-new XC50-230 lens from Japan for about $180.

And the X-T10 goes for $1100 with 18-55, or $800 body only.