X-M1 Roadshow

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by pniev, Oct 13, 2013.

1. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    This Saturday (12 october 2013) Foto Hafo and Fujifilm hosted the x-m1 roadshow in The Hague, the Netherlands). Although it is a X-M1 promotion event it is definitely worth attending. Not only does Fuji allow you to take the camera out for a 1-1,5 hour shoot, there is also a lecture by a well-established photographer. In our case, Bert Stephani introduced us to the x-m1 camera, the x-trans sensor, and why he switched completely to the Fuji system for his professional and personal work. His story may well be representative of what happens/happened to many professional photographers: a huge gap between professional and personal work. He shared the following story. For a presentation in Tokio he wanted to show his best work. So he gathered a collection of impressive, technical challenging shots (he showed this in a brief video that showed each photo quickly). But he wasn’t happy about it. Actually, he asked himself “is this really my best work”? And then he saw a photo he had recently made of a little boy standing against the wall with his toy bear smiling. His father had passed away two weeks before and this was the first time his mother saw her son smile. Bert suddenly realized that that photo would be dear to them for the rest of their lives. It was that moment when he realized that he was no longer happy with his professional work and wanted to bring the worlds together.

Some links:
    http://bertstephani.com/tokyo-fujifilm-x-photographer/
    http://confessionsxl.com
    http://bertstephani.com/blog/
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/bert_stephani/

Bert also showed us photos of his 24-hours-of-Tokio work that - if I’m correct - will be published in a Fujifilm book. He shared why he took a certain photo, composition, story, etc. including photos that will not be selected for the book an why. Bert sees a certain scene (e.g. a reflection of light on the streets), visualizes the photo (someone passing the light) and spends half an hour or so shooting various photos and correcting composition etc. He talked about being lucky, not being frustrated when things do not work out as planned, and the importance of telling a story without the need to use words. I must admit that I learned a lot from that. Doing it is another matter of course. And sadly, this presentation was after shooting with the X-M1. Fortunately I could use the hints and tips given by you based on my London people shots.

What about the X-M1 camera? I won’t dwell on settings, layout, etc. Enough has been said about that. I used the 27mm (42eq) lens with the x-m1 and that is the perfect combination to me. The camera is small and a 18-55 or 16-50 lens does not seem to be right to me. The 16-50 is much lighter than the 18-55 so that would be my second choice. Probably I would still opt for the x100(s) as backup city-trip camera, but the x-m1 with 27mm lens might be a close second.

What do I like most about the camera? The thing that surprised me most in a positive way, is the tilt-LCD. Actually, I am thrilled about it. I always thought it was a useless feature but it is not. Especially in urban/street settings, it works better to let the camera hang around your neck and look at the LCD from above (a bit like shooting with a Hasselblad). I believe this benefits composition (angle) and people are more spontaneous. It’s as if you’re studying the camera when you take a shot. Wifi is an interesting feature when you want/need to convert and publish a photo quickly. Apparently the fuji wifi feature works smoothly. What I also liked, is the minimum shutter speed setting. The fuji representative told us this will also become available on the x-e1 and x-pro1. Hurrah.

What don’t I like? First, the LCD is basically useless in sunlight (confirmed by other testers, so it wasn’t just me). It’s do-able to compose (you end up with cut-off feet or something like that but the idea is still visible) but there is no way to read exposure data. So shooting in bright sunlight basically requires trusting the camera. I also missed the ability to quickly change aperture/shutter speed based on circumstances.

What about IQ? If you like the results of your X-E1 and X-Pro1, you like the results of the X-M1. The jpegs seem to be better then the jpegs from my x-pro1 (more sparkling) but as I haven’t made a direct comparison I might be wrong. It also seems that sharpness benefited from the new processor. Take for example this photo:

[​IMG]

What about X-M1 vs X-A1? I definitely can understand why the X-M1 can be a backup camera for x-pro1 photographers. The biggest pro is that there is no need to change the workflow, presets, and settings as it is basically the same camera as the x-e1 and x-pro1. To illustrate this: Bert Stephani uses his X-M1 more and more because of the tilt screen (it allows him to shoot from low levels without laying on the ground in water and dirt).
    To me (as x-pro user) it would have made more sense if the X-M1 had similar buttons as the X-E1 and X-Pro1 though. In that case it would have been VERY tempting to purchase the X-M1 with 27mm lens for city trips and street. The X-A1 would then be the entry model with a layout more familiar to people who want to step up from PS cameras.

Some photos:

COLORS:
    View attachment 16334

this with reflection (on purpose)
    [​IMG]

PEOPLE:

I shot these intentionally because of the context and waited for someone to pass:

Lost in thought (sign says: “sales starts saturday june 1”)
    [​IMG][/

Cosmo girl:
    [​IMG]

This was a “quick moment” shot:

Having fun, even after shopping:
    View attachment 16335

DR:
    I shot with DR auto. I like the results!

View attachment 16336

ISO 6400:

View attachment 16337

View attachment 16338

• Like Like x 3
  2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I am going to attend the workshop in NUE on 6DEC. So if anybody from Germany wants to join me, feel free to do so!

3. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Wonderful write up and photos Peter. I really liked the photo with the children running. Great emotion to that photo.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Thanks for sharing Peter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Peter, thank you so much for sharing your experiences during your time with the X-M1 Roadshow. For me, personal stories and experiences are a great way to learn from one another.

I have to admit that the tilt screen is something I am sure I'd like very much, as well. The whole experience sounds as though it was fun, as well as interesting. I'll be sure to check out your links to Mr. Stephani's photographs. He sounds as though he is a very thoughtful person. In the meantime, the colors in your outdoor shots look particularly great - and I really do like your photograph of the man walking, lost in thought by the old sale sign.

Again, many thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thank you for your kind words, BB! Bert is indeed a great guy and a fantastic photographer. Definitely worth checking out his websites.
    Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    We really need to address that bug that leads to automatic double posting (at least with Macs and Safari).

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    We're doing so - reporting, that is.