X-M1 vs X-A1, I know

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by lezshoot, Jun 19, 2014.

1. lezshoot

lezshoot New to FujiXspot

Jun 19, 2014
    I've seen the reviews(well most of them were for the X-M1), and seen the talk, but I been lurking and noticed someone said they both cost the same. I did a search and both cameras do cost the same. So the question is, which one for just general travel, people, and light sports photography?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    First, welcome!

Secondly, Rico has made your life easier, thus: http://www.fujirumors.com/x-a1-vs-x-m1-the-shootout/

Personally, I can only speak for the X-M1 which I ran alongside an X-E1 for a while. I chose the M, because I wanted to make my life simpler and go with an X-Trans only workflow. I think that all other things being equal, in practical, real-world shooting, what you do with the files is actually more telling than the sensor behind the lens. For your stated uses, I think you could choose either and get the results you want, although I would have to say that it might be worth your saving your money for a little while longer and going for a "run-out" X-E1 which is an all-around more accomplished and more flexible camera than either the A or the M.

• Like Like x 4
  3. battleaxe

battleaxe FujiXspot Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    if you don't mind me asking how so I the X-E1 more accomplished and flexible? I know there it has an EVF, but the larger tilting display of the newer model does have it's own advantage.IQ is pretty much the same(at least with the X-M1); and I think the newer models have a slightly faster AF(with some tracking option?) vs the X-E1 even with the firmware updates?

• Like Like x 1
  4. lezshoot

Jun 19, 2014
    Well I've had cameras with no evf and a fix screen. While I do love EVF, tilting display does have some advantages. Argh.

5. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    The viewfinder on the X-E1 is a, if not the, major plus for me. I am not a fan of rear-screen focusing and actively dislike tilty screens to the extent that the one on my X-T1 is taped - to me, like a clip-on EVF it's just something to snag on your clothing, break and go wrong.

Remember that the original price point of the X-E1 was many beans more than the A or the M - that differential bought you more than just an EVF; from personal experience the X-E1 is more substantial, with a more comfortable grip which in turn makes it more usable with longer lenses. The X-M1 gets a mode dial in place of a shutter speed dial, and also loses the exposure compensation dial.

Overall I would take an X-E1 over an M or an A every time - the only advantages - for me at least - were the lower value and reduced bulk - having the EVF is essential - for me - on an interchangeable-lens serious compact.

Hope this helps!

6. lezshoot

Jun 19, 2014
    What about in terms of DR and color?