X Pro 1 + Macro

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Christilou, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Christilou

Christilou FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The 60mm macro lens for the X cameras seems fiendishly frustrating. I've owned this for the best part of a year now and still often have to simply give up. I've been trying it again today in bright sunlight and comparing it to the EM5 plus Zuiko 50mm macro and the micro 4/3rds 12-50 kit lens in macro mode. Even the Olympus kit lens does a better job. I've tried making the focus point bigger/smaller but still it's very unreliable, often giving a false green focus box. Anyone else have any tips?

8438211408_fd8677d9bd_b.
    DSCF0053-2-RAF by christilou1, on Flickr

8438210788_c09e9f997f_b.
    Pink Tulips by christilou1, on Flickr

A couple I did manage to get out of an awful lot of shots!

• Like Like x 4
  2. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    Try manual focus?

The shots you posted are dreamy-good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I didn't give it much of a chance and sold it off pretty quick, but I found that using it in manual focus worked best, but I also don't mind using a tripod and going manual for macro work. YMMV

• Like Like x 1
  4. ghosthunter

ghosthunter New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    Beautiful and subtle, really nice!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Beautiful!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    And yet, Christina, these are just beautiful. I don't think we can expect all shots to be fabulous. I'd go with the others... manual focus for macro. I do with my K5+35mm (and miss the focus when my eyes let me down)... it works, most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Christilou

Christilou FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Thanks, but I'm not sure wether to keep this lens, so many times I've just put it away. I've tried turning the axis around and tried looking for areas of contrast but no luck. Manual is not very easy as my right arm is shaky and I have to hold the camera away from me to do this. I'm interested to see how Andy gets on with his new macro lens :)

8. veereshai

veereshai New to FujiXspot

Feb 1, 2013
    They look nice Christy, though I'll admit that with focus by wire macro might be frustrating. I prefer setting the magnifications and then moving in or out with the setup to get the subject in focus. I do not have a 60mm macro lens, so I'll probably get a Nikon to X adapter and try macro with the X-Pro1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I had the 60/2.8 for about a month when I still had my XE1. I was often frustrated by it as well. For portrait purposes, the Oly 45/1.8 is superior for me. And for macro, the ZD50/2 is definitely a better lens -- although the AF is turtle slow on a m4/3 camera. All in all, I did not like the 60 and ended up trading it for the 18-55 zoom (which was then sold along the XE1).

• Like Like x 1