X-Pro 1 newbie ...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Jeffryscott, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Jeffryscott

Jeffryscott FujiXspot Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    Arizona
    Been around cameras and photography for a long time (newspapers for 25 years) and my favorite tools have always been rangefinders - Leica M's, Contax G's - and after lusting for the X-Pro 1 since its introduction, one is finally on its way.

Selling off my Sony A6000 kit, which is lovely, fast, has superb image quality, etc .... but, I just don't love it and am hoping the X-Pro delivers that feeling. Yes, I know it won't have the blazing AF, high fps, and general performance one would expect from a digital camera of 2014, but the aesthetic of shooting, a more deliberate approach as opposed to machine-gunning is appealing.

I sold my Zeiss 24 1.8 for the Sony a few days ago. I loved the Zeiss, but needed a bit of cash and was going to replace it with a Sigma 19 until I could afford the Zeiss again. No Sigmas were to be found, used or new in stock anywhere, and the Sony 20 (another alternative) has at best mediocre reviews, which made me reevaluate my Sony system and my needs/desires. Sony has some great offerings, but Fuji has more of what I think I want ...

I am looking at the original trio of lenses (or one alternative): 18, 27 or 35 and 60. The Fuji 18 is a focal length I love, is fast and while it too has mixed reviews they are better than either the Sigma or Sony (and it is a stop faster). The 27 has great reviews for a relatively small price and the 35 and 60 are both stellar from what I have seen. The two zooms, 18-55 and 55-200 are also appealing. They are versatile and cover pretty much anything I would need - but that is my old photojournalist coming out and takes away from the aesthetic I'm looking for with the X-Pro 1, (but they are better than anything Sony has in the price category.)

I'm not shooting professionally anymore, so I don't need much gear (traveled around the world with my Contax G2 (21 to 90mm) and never felt limited, so Fuji's 28 to 90 equivalents should fit my needs just fine, mostly.

Sorry for meandering, just some thoughts on why I'm here.

Any tips for getting the most out of the X-Pro 1 would be appreciated ...

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Jeff, first and foremost, welcome! You have chosen a good 'un in the X-Pro. I come from a long background of Leica M usage and the rangefinder form factor of the X series was a big draw for me. I haven't had mine that long - I got it refurbished from fujifilm UK - half the launch price, and twice the camera thanks to firmware upgrades in the interim - what's not to like?

Good choice of lenses too. Of the ones you have listed, the only one I don't own or have had is the 18, and only because that focal length is covered for me by the Ricoh GR. I agree with you about the aesthetic - the X-Pro is really made for use with prime lenses of modest focal length - 28 to 90 mm in "old money" but I would counsel you to have a really good, hard look again at the 18-55; it is about the best "standard zoom" you can find, and lightweight too.

My standard carry kit is the X-Pro with 23 or 35mm lenses for speed, and the 18-55 for reach. I'd also encourage you to think hard about the 60 - it is a good lens, but slow to focus, even after firmware improvements. If your balance between portrait and macro use is to the latter, go for it. If to the former, the 56mm is definitely preferable. I have the 56, and use an Olympus OM 50mm macro for closeup work, having sold my 60 - the only Fuji lens so far I have sold on. The Fuji "holy trinity", for me at least, is 23, 35 and 56 with my X-Pro, in a small and nondescript bag. A brace of spare batteries and a pair of spare cards, and I am happy, and set for a long day out.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your Fuji time!

3. Jeffryscott

Sep 22, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks for the welcome Bill! The 56 and 23 are tops of my want list, but I can't quite justify (really, I simply can't afford) them. I'll need to look at the 60. I had the 60 Sigma for the Sony and it is a brilliant little lens and a nice focal length, and was slow to focus (relatively).

As of now, I'll try to be patient and wait for deals to pop up - the Zeiss 32 is quite tempting as well.

Thanks again!

4. Jeffryscott

Sep 22, 2013
    Arizona
    I succumbed and a 23 is heading my way. One camera, one lens for now!

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Hi and welcome Jeffry

I've had the 35 glued to my XP1 since the day I bought it and it delivers anything I ask of it in spades and then some, the 50mm focal has always been my focal length of choice from the first day I have ever picked up a camera, I have recently bought the 23mm, and I am still getting the hang of the 35mm focal length.

I'll be looking forward to see your images :thumbup: