X-PRO1 agony

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by pszilard, Feb 3, 2014.

1. pszilard

pszilard New to FujiXspot

Feb 3, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Paul Szilard
    I have an X100s that I love. I also have an X-PRO1, which I also love. I have 4 optics: 14, 35, 18-55 and 55-200.

I have decide to get the 56/1.2 but the agony is over the X-T1. I do not want to have 3 Fuji bodies (I also have a "full" Nikon D4 system for pro work).

I think the OVF of the X-PRO1 is fantastic and am worried that if I sell the X-PRO1 to pay towards the X-T1, that I shall be very regretful of loosing the EVF. On the other hand the X-T1 has so many pluses, including the tilting LCD, etc., etc. that it is very attractive.

First question: If I took the same shot with the X-PRO1 and the X-T1, on a tripod and manually focused would the end results be noticeably different? I.e. ignoring camera speed or focusing speed.

2nd: How do the two bodies compare for size/weight?

3rd: If I am to sell the X-PRO1, should I do it immediately, or wait until the new guys ships.

Lastly: What is the X-PRO2 likely be like???

2. Coops

Coops FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 29, 2013
    Yorkshire, UK
    The first question the answer is probably no. It's basically the same sensor, so all things being equal no difference.
    Size and weight. X-Pro1 a little bigger. Think you would be pushed to notice weight difference.
    Sell now. Won't make a big difference, maybe try a part exchange then it happens at the same time.
    The X-Pro2. Who knows? Will there be an X-Pro2? If there is it may just be a big upgrade in hardware, with basically the same or very similar looks (my preference). Like everyone else I'm just guessing.

3. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Hi Paul,

Welcome! I can only share my own thoughts (I use an x-pro with 14-23-35 lenses and a leica 180mm apo elmarit).

I love the OVF of the x-pro1 when shooting wide. However, as it does not do much with manual lenses and medium-telelenses, I was thinking about buying the X-T1 as well. The layout is close to ideal and the tilt screen is a great feature too. And the grip is helpful when using larger lenses and shooting portrait. And the ability to remotely trigger via iphone/pad is fantastic for nature shots. The EVF seems to be great too, also in bright sunlight. I will grab the x100s when I want to use the OVF, It's 35mm but I really like that focal length (I mostly use the 23mm on the x-pro1 nowadays).

I am not going to pre-order. I want to see and feel the X-T1 before buying it. It is such a different/new thing that I do not want t buy it from a picture. Too much money involved in that. This also allows me to "calm down" after the excitement. ;-) It will also allow me to compare it with the x-pro (and, yes, I do believe that some slight differences will be visible due to differences in the processor (I already noticed a difference between the X-M1 and X-Pro1. Might be perception of course, because I did not compare the same shots in the same light).

And then the x-pro2. That's really the buying-a-new-camera-party-pooper. My bet is that Fuji plans to use an organic APS-C sensor in the x-pro2. After all, in an interview, 2 senior Fuji managers said that they will only launch the x-pro2 if it is groundbreaking. They want it to be the flagship. Others think they will go fullframe but that does not make sense of you look at the capabilities of the organic sensor and their investment in the lenses. They may go full-frame when the organic sensor cannot be made to work in a profitable fashion. They will hold their cards until they know it can work.

As far as the design is concerned, I am inclined to think that they use the X-T1 to test the waters and then decide which design they will use: rangefinder vs DSLR. After having seen the X-T1, I do hope the x-pro2 will have the X-T1 looks with improved EVF and processor. It will have an organic sensor. I don't dare to guess the number of MP. If I understand the literature about organic sensors correctly, pixel size might be substantially less to generate similar DR, noise and color levels. With the same pixel size DR, noise reduction and color reproduction will be substantially improved (I am dreaming of D4 levels generated by an APS-C sensor).

If the organic sensor works (and can be profitable) the x-pro2 might be launched next year. Otherwise bit later with a full frame sensor.

What does this have to do with buying the X-T1? In my case: will I pass on the X-T1 and wait for more news on the x-pro2 or do I pull the trigger and replace the X-T1 later. Don't know yet.

Not sure if this helps but these are my thoughts.

Please keep us posted!

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fiddlergene

Fiddlergene FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Firstly, forget about the xp2, it's a long way off. The size of the xt1 is considerably smaller than the xp1. I'd get rid of the 100s while there's still good market value for it, it's the least flexible of those you mentioned. I'd never let the xp1 go, I'm too enamored of the OVF for my wide angle stuff. I plan on getting the xt1 as a second body for my two zooms and for use in lousy weather.

And lastly, I haven't touched my Nikon gear since I've had the xp1. Don't need it. But I can't bear to part with it yet, soon though, very soon ........

5. threeO

threeO New to FujiXspot

Feb 5, 2014
    Re xp2, if it happens its going to have to be a significant upgrade. I think with the longer zooms Fuji has introduced, the surprising to me, number of comments I read from xp1 shooters using mostly the evf and the number of those xp1 shooters adopting the xt1 system (especially pros using xp1's for paid work), where's the market? Available share would have to come from the Leica crowd and that's likely quite a different camera than you envision. Perhaps FF and new lenses as well. Organic sensor, as in another few years of software frustrations, not for me. That leaves a higher pixel count and an update in line with what we already have. I don't see it being profitable for Fuji. By then a good part of the xp1 market will be using the xt1.

If I were Fuji I would love to see the xt1 embraced by the xp1 folks and allow the xp1 to rest in peace. Just my thoughts.

6. Photodan

Photodan New to FujiXspot

Mar 1, 2014
    I have a pro
    I have n Xpro1, Xe2 and now an Xt1. I put off getting an Xt1 for quite a while. I didn't like the look of it and preferred the viewfinder on the side but the incredible features on it, the pc sync for flash, tilting lcd finally convinced me to give it a try. Wow is all I can say. It handles great, performs great, feels nice in the hand. I am thinking about selling the xpro now and maybe pick up the xpro2 when it comes out and sell my xe2. Don't hesitate on the xt1, I promise you will be impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    - The XT1 is an incredible workhorse of a tool, and it exists in glorious fashion (software updates), right now. You can find used bodies for less than $900 US. Everything looks amazingly good through that enormous EVF, and manual focusing is pretty easy, if you're into that.
    - The XP2 is going to exist someday, and yes the theoretical new sensor will probably be a nice upgrade (though it will NOT be full frame, as they've emphatically stated). But it will still have issues with the OVF and longer lenses, because... physics.

So for my two cents, I say get the XT1 as soon as possible. Every nice shot you get with it between now and whenever the XP2 eventually comes out (next year at least) is your reward. Sell the XP1 while there's still more of a market for it. Keep the X100S because it is a wonderful complimentary camera to something like the XT.

8. Edward

Edward New to FujiXspot

Jun 30, 2015
    I would hold back on investing in the XT1 because the f0 freeze issue may be more prevalent than we care to admit. I was delighted with my new xt1 until this problem started and have missed many shots as a result.

9. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Your instance was literally the first time I've heard of it. Very, very curious.

10. danieljenkins

danieljenkins New to FujiXspot

Sep 23, 2015
    metung, australia
    daniel jenkins
    sell the nikon system. i did. now i use the xp1 full time. will never look back.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I guess it depends on how important the OVF is at the end of the day. I don't especially mind the small frame on short tele; it's how most rangefinders I've used work. But there's a reason most rangefinders are limited to 90 or (sometimes) 135.
    For me the X-pro with the 35 or 27 is dreamy, and I even use the OVF with the 16-50, even if it is fiddly. I'm willing to put up with a lot for an OVF, though, and on the lenses it works well with, there's something addictive about rangefinder or "rangefinder" shooting.

• Like Like x 1