X-T1 Light Leak update and return process

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by Lightmancer, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    The official announcement is here: http://fujifilm.jp/information/articlead_0251.html

The affected serial number range is 41002001 to 41006000 - please note that the third character appears to vary by region but this does not matter.

In the UK at least, you should contact Fujifilm Service in the UK (0844 5532323)

The process is that they take your details and send out a reply-paid box for you to send your camera in. Turnaround will be as quick as possible, but about a week and a half was mentioned.

- other regions will vary; please check with your local distributor.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Well, I've got 5172 for the last four characters, so I should be affected, but I couldn't find any leak at all. Maybe I'll try it again... Dark room, cap on, shine light into the ports on the left side, door open (obviously), no difference on the LCD. There's a lot of the sparkles that the EVF does as it gains up with no light, and they're not completely even around the screen, but they're no different with the door open and no different with the light shining into the ports. So I'm not sending mine in...

-Ray

3. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Problem is, Ray, one clearly in the serial number range and not fixed, when you come to sell it, will attract a lower price...

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    These serial numbers in this Japanese bulletin are for JP models, only. There are different number ranges for other markets. As you can imagine, I have already done my homework and researched the not affected numbers for all 7 global markets. OTOH, I have no intention of getting ahead of Fujifilm's own regional market communication. It's up to each region to communicate how they intend to handle this issue. If you have concerns, just ask them whether your camera is affected or not.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks Rico - that's helpful. I'll just wait until there's a list of serial numbers released for US or North American models and check against that. I have absolutely no concerns for my own use, even if I DID have the problem because I don't recall taking more than one or two shots with the port-door open on ANY camera ever and now that there are wi-fi apps, that number likely will be zero going forward. But for resale, if my camera is even under suspicion, I'd like to be able to assure some potential future buyer...

-Ray

6. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    You should definitely have it fixed if your camera is affected. Fuji is shipping spare parts on Monday. While the camera is serviced, they should also take care of the potential command dial issue that has been reported. So it's a win-win, actually.

7. landshark

landshark Fujiman

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    If I take a very bright led flashlight and point it at the port with the door open, I can see the issue and even though it is a non issue for me. I would never shoot with the door open. I will probably send mine into have it repaired when I am done traveling for awhile in June or so

8. dmward

dmward FujiXspot Regular

Nov 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Update:

I got my camera back today; posted to Fuji on the 18th, guaranteed next day. Despatched from them on the 25th, so that's seven days in-house. Unfortunately they used the second-worst courier on the planet - City Link - to get it back to me. They were supposed to deliver yesterday but the idle sloth couldn't even get out of his van and knock on the door; I was at home all day and the photo he took as "proof of delivery" was plainly taken from the end of my drive...

Anyway, it is sitting on the desk in front of me as I type. A minor irritation is that it is back to factory settings - ho hum...

• Like Like x 2
  10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Oy vey! Amazing.

Well, I'm glad the XT is back and look forward to your report on the fix, Bill!

11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Oy vey! Amazing.

Well, I'm glad the XT is back and look forward to your report on the fix, Bill!

12. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    ahh.. so, you were affected. i'm interested to know if it feels like they worked on the 4-way, at all.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

13. Dorkooken

Dorkooken New to FujiXspot

Mar 27, 2014
    Mine is also back from the leak repair... no change in the 4-way button... too bad...they didn't even bother to clean the sensor..

14. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    interesting. did you check to see if the leak was gone,

15. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Have to say, I am completely happy with the four-way as is...