X-T1 white balance

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Delphititan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Delphititan

Delphititan FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I am new to X-Trans having just bought my first camera a few months ago. My X-E1 has been a nice change in many ways, not as snappy as my M43 gear which I have migrated from but, livable in most response areas.

I just received my X-T1 and I am very impressed. One thing I have noticed in particular and perhaps this already a given for you veteran X-Trans users is just how good the white balance "auto" is. Wow! I still use the custom setting by referencing a white source and saving the measured result but, I have been playing with auto in the last day or so and it is surprising me with how close it comes to being what I would consider "correct."

Well....enough of my blah-blah for now. This X-T1 is going to change some opinions in many users minds. Fujifilm has hit on something very, very good.

Dan

• Like Like x 1
  2. rlewis

rlewis New to FujiXspot

Mar 8, 2014
    Pike Road, Alabama
    Rick Lewis
    The Auto WB mode is quite good. I found, though, that in heavy shade it is a bit cool. So far that is about the only area I have found it to be deficient for me. On the positive side, because it is mirrorless, you can immediately see the WB change when using the Kelvin scale to fine tune the WB. I love it!!

3. Delphititan

Delphititan FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A bit cool...

I will agree on the coolness of the result in heavy shade. I noticed that while I was taking pictures at the Oregon coast this last weekend. I wonder if I can make an adjustment to the in camera settings to make the camera use a slightly warmer kelvin setting when taking pictures under those conditions? I usually keep a white piece of paper with me to set a custom white balance to achieve more accuracy in tricky situations.

Dan

4. thesquire

thesquire New to FujiXspot

Nov 16, 2014
    Page 44 of the X-T1 manual does say how to set a custom white balance after you set the white balance option using Function key 5 (see Manual page 39), but I have done it once and failed to do it the next time I tried it. Eventually I will get the hang of it. Try that and let us know.

5. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I just incorporated a manually cool / manually warm white balance into 2 of my 7 presets. I found I like Astia with a manually warmed up K value, and color at +1 with shadows and highlights each at -1. then I have a Pro Neg Hi setting with a little blue in it. I'm not good enough to know right away when they're going to be right, but sometimes I find myself thinking "warmer / cooler now" and try it, and it's just right. Was in a red-painted restaurant with dim lights for a party, and the cool one helped immensely. Auto was still coming out too red.