X-T2 geared towards portraiture? What about mushy landscapes?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by mesmerized, Sep 22, 2016.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized FujiXspot Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    Dear Users,

I keep hearing from video (youtube) reviewers that X-T2 makes a great portrait-work camera, and not necessarily an equally great landscape-work camera. Is it really so? Is X-T2 geared towards portraiture? Has Fuji dealt with the problem X-T1 had, i.e. mushy green areas? I'm really tempted to go back to the Fuji world.

2. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I don't shoot a lot of landscapes. But what I have shot with the Pro2 looks really good. I would assume the same of the T2 since they share the same sensor.

3. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I can't imagine it's much different with the greens... haven't heard anything changed on the sensor or processor geared towards that. Not really sure though.

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I'd just not take much notice of what you see on YouTube...

5. Stephen S

Stephen S FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    East Bay, Northern California
    Stephen Scharf
    "Mushy green" foliage, leaves, grass, etc is not the fault of the camera; it's the fault of flawed RAW demosaicing algorithms for converting X-trans RAF files. Use Capture One Pro, Photo Ninja, or Iridient Developer and there are virtually no problems.

Carneros-Mustard-1.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Lou Tingle

Lou Tingle FujiXspot Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Agreed. I don't have problems with "mushy greens" from my X-T1s, X-T10, or X100T. I use SilkyPix Develper Studio Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks for the answers.

Well, it's not like a blindly follow each and every review on youtube, but there used to be quite a lot of chatter about how X-T1 couldn't handle green areas. I remember that some of the pictures taken with my X-T1 weren't too impressive in terms of rendition of foliage.

What about JPEGs?

8. Stephen S

Feb 14, 2014
    Stephen Scharf
    Yes, Silky Pix is good with this, too. Thanks for reminding me about it; it does not have much adoption by customers, so tend to forget about it.

9. Stephen S

Feb 14, 2014
    Stephen Scharf
    It's about using the right tool for the right job. ACR/LR did not do a good job of rendering foliage, leaves, fine tree branches very well for a long time. The current versions LR CC 2015.6.1 seems to do a better job but I still prefer Iridient.

10. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Thank you for the answers and sorry for the typos in the previous post.

I assume that in case of SOOC JPEGs the issue of foliage rendering doesn't exist?

11. Stephen S

Feb 14, 2014
    Stephen Scharf
    Good question. I don't rightly remember, but my guess is that it would not be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I took enough foliage picture yesterday, I could upload a few SOOC for you? Hang on.

13. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Alright, pixel peep all you want but don't judge me, these are all SOOC. I got something from all 3 lenses I used Saturday and Sunday, which does show a difference. The 27 pancake is a little soft wide open. The 35 f1.4 is sharp when it gets up, sharp all day, sharp when it goes to bed. The Rokinon CAN be sharp, if I'm not shooting one-handed while biking at 15mph.

XF27, circular polarizer, SOOC
    29914334176_b90b50a222_b. KBRX0844 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

29322110143_4b7b42abe7_b. Elk Meadow by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Rokinon 12mm f2 lens, SOOC
    View attachment 27189 KBRX1158 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

XF 35. I didn't use it as much, so I didn't have tons of foliage choices here.
    29865344401_456088b463_b. KBRX1210 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

14. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks a bunch KillRamsey! Appreciate that! I'm having such a hard time deciding if Fuji is the way to go.

The thing that makes me a bit hesitant is the lack of in-body IS system. Then again, my Olympus has IS but those 16MPixels and a small-sh sensor don't really float by boat either.

15. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I don't miss it. I've never HAD it, to be fair, but ... I don't miss it. When I really need stabilization, I have the XF18-55 and the XC50-230. Usually, I don't... no stabilization will stop my subject from fidgeting around. It's a nice-to-have, for sure, but not THAT nice.

16. pdk42

pdk42 FujiXspot Rookie

May 24, 2016
    Paul
  17. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
  18. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Olympus? I kinda see some noise there. I might be wrong though.

As I said, I love Olympus, but for me it's the sensor that breaks the deal here...

EDIT: Fuji ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017